PC based measuring equipment?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I'm sure theres plenty of people working in different fields here to have some input about this
one of my addictions is having everything compact and portable etc

so it seems like having a PC as a mainframe for all kinds of measuring equipment would make a lot of sense even in a home setting

are we anywhere close to it?

wired(usb) or wireless(wifi,bluetooth etc)
for example machine shop tools that use a pc interface to recrd measurements for later compiling into a chart or graph instead of recording them manually
microscopes telscopes ( for fun)
inspection tools for automotive
OBD2 scan tools PC based
machinist tools like calipers

audio tools such as oscilloscopes multimeters other test equipment.

pretty much eliminating the separate control interface for each tool and linking it all to a single PC interface would be pretty badass

so I was wondering whats available already for a normal consumer not a government funded company that can spend 600 dollars on a basic dial caliper every year

I want a home-based weather station.. with a mini-radar, thermostat, barometer, hygrometer, anemometer, lightning detector, pyranometer... i want that relaying live information to my PC on my living room bigscreen

Yes, it's growing big enough that they even made a name for the "movement": the Internet Of Things :p see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things

It's already resulted in a million stupid inventions (like, I dunno, a shoe rack that you can access off your phone to see how many pairs of shoes are currently on the rack), I can only hope that practical inventions like the ones you've listed will make their way into the mix in not too long a period

Back
Top Bottom