Opening ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcrknp

Baseband Member
How do I check to see if I have a certain port open on my router? Also, as the title suggests, how would I open a closed port? I know little to nothing about networks, but I do know it's a 10/100 RJ45 Belkin router.

Go here and scan your network or google free port scan for free website that offer to scan your network for free.
http://www.dslreports.com/scan

Most likely, home routers don't come with many advance features depending on how much you paid for it but some will come with port blocking feature that block specific ports and IP range. These home routers do not have much control on ports, they either filter them or leave them open. When a port is in close mode it is not being block by anything, it's just close because it's not used and you don't have to do anything. Filter port are the one you need to open because these are the port that are being control by the firewall on your router or a software firewall.

Your router probably comes with features to filter ports, not filtering it will leave it close, when an application needs to use the port it will open the port by itself.

home routers are a pain to acually open ports. even if it says that its open, your isp always has a way to screw with it to make sure your not hosting a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom