One Long Beep and Two short beeps on boot... no video display

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
About 8 out of 10 times that I power on my machine I get One Long Beep and Two short beeps on boot. I've looked up this error code and it seems to point to a video error. However I have tried another pci-e card (that I know works) and I still get the same thing.

I have removed all cables and cards from the machine and cleaned then reseated everything. I have tried various sticks of ram in various configurations (1 on its own, two, four, etc), I have unplugged all external devices while booting, tried the aforementioned other video card... all of this to no avail, the problem still occurs.

The only thing that seems to make any difference, is tilting my pc forwards or backwards 45 degrees or so... but even this doesn't always work, I end up resetting again and again until, eventually the PC powers up and does the single bios beep. The machine runs fine then, until I reboot or shut down and the fun starts all over again.

I have also cleared the CMOS, tried booting up with less items plugged in. The thing that baffles me is that my PC ran perfectly well for almost two years, and then without a crash or anything this has started to occur. The system is plugged into Belkin surge protector and the leds on this tell me that there has been no surge on the power socket.

I am running (when it can be arsed to boot):

Asus A8N SLI Premium
2Gb ram (4x512 sticks running in dual channel)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
XFX Geforce 7800 GTX
5 hard drives of various manufacturers and sizes
Antec NeoHE 550W Modular PSU
Creative XFi Fatal1ty
Windows XP x64/Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (dual boot)

If anyone has any tips or ideas as to what the problem could be I would really appreciate it, as its driving me mad!

I don't really want to replace unnecessary parts (I've done this before and then found out that the final part I replaced was the culprit and therefore I had wasted money on the other bits), so am preying that this wont be too expensive to rectify.

Thanks in advance

Hygor

PSU or the actual slot/motherboard may be the culprits. Easiest to try a different PSU first and if that still causes the errors, you may end up having to get a new mobo. I have also heard sometimes that bad memory can cause video problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom