no access to certain sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_N8

In Runtime
I have a separate laptop that was given to me that has windows XP with only SP2 on it. I am able to get around to any website except when i try to go to the windows update site to get SP3 I get an IE error saying it can't be displayed. The same error also occurs when trying to download AVG and happens on IE and Firefox. Chrome won't even load. I believe it may be a setup issue w/ my network adapter, but it won't let me make changes to the LAN adapter properties. (i.e. client for microsoft networks checkbox won't stay checked). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Have you tried all the usual things like Restore Points, Repair and Safe Mode with Networking?

no, i think it has something to do w/ the prior setup. It was issued by a school so i think it may still be part of a domain or something, which i switched to my local workgroup. Where should i remove all the user profiles at? Registry editor?

Sorry to tell you this, but sadly that license of Windows on there is for academic use only. It cant be used by an individual outside of the school unless it was issued to them. If that is the case, then they have to contact their IT support people for what they have to do. If it isnt then the PC has to be formatted and a new copy of Windows installed. More information on that situation is outlined here:

Work at Home licenses for Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing Customers

Academic institutions that have acquired licenses through Microsoft Academic Volume Licensing programs may grant to their faculty and staff the right to use a second copy of a limited selection of products on either a home or portable computer for work-related purposes.

So the school is at fault for not knowing the terms of the licenses that they use. Cause they cant just sell these PC's with that license. If they plan on getting rid of them, they have to format the drive and let people know that there is no OS on there.

**** you microsoft! Well that explains why i couldn't get any microsoft updates or load my own antivirus on there. You saved me a lot of time and headache. Ubuntu it is..

Thanks,
Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom