New to HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SThompson86

In Runtime
So, I have a couple of questions if that is ok?

I purchased my first big screen HDTV last night, and I would some help.

question #1. I am currently running from my satellite box into the TV using the coax cable. The picture looks some what pixalated like a you tube video. Not as bad as a youtube video, but like a downloaded movie or something. I figure the reason the picture looks this way is because I am using Coax Input? Also I do not have an HD satellite box, just a standard box.

Question #2. I tried to plug in my satellite box into the tv using the RCA cables. Using the RCA cables resulted in a crisper picture, but I had vertical lines moving from left to right. They were not solid lines but fuzzy. I reverted back to the coax input.

But yes, I am new to HDTV, and just need some help.

Thanks in advance.

You need a new box from the provider. One that can do HDMI. That will allow you to stream HD content. Using the coax and the composite (RCA cables with the yellow, red and white connectors) will not yield you a good signal on the HDTV. Those are old analog connections. Need a least Component (red, green and blue connectors) to stream digital signal and get a decent reception on your HDTV.

I am guessing that you did something along those lines? I had the same issue when i got my HDTV. Got a new box from time Warner and connected it via HDMI.

You need a new box from the provider. One that can do HDMI. That will allow you to stream HD content. Using the coax and the composite (RCA cables with the yellow, red and white connectors) will not yield you a good signal on the HDTV. Those are old analog connections. Need a least Component (red, green and blue connectors) to stream digital signal and get a decent reception on your HDTV.

I am guessing that you did something along those lines? I had the same issue when i got my HDTV. Got a new box from time Warner and connected it via HDMI.

Yes, that is what I figured out in my readings. Yes I will need a new box, for all my box has is RCA/Coax/S-Video input. I will probably hold off on the box because im not big on watching TV to spend money on a new box. My Xbox on the other hand when I get it will be hooked up HDMI.

It shouldnt cost you anything to update to a new box. I took mine right over to Time Warner's office and got it switched for free. Even got DVR for a extra $5 a month. 100 HD channels and DVR and it only cost me $5 more than what i was paying.

Sometimes Sat isnt the best solution. :p

Yes I did the same as soon as I got my new tv.. I knew that HDMI was the only way to get HD and you need an HD box from the cable company.. also to use it as a monitor you need a DVI to HDMI connector (if you have DVI out on your pc.) some have HDMI out in which case you just need the hdmi to hdmi connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom