Network + Quiz #20 - IEEE Standards 3

Do You Now Have a Windowed Case?

• Yes I do have a windowed case

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I do have a windowed case, and it is bi_chen!

• Yes I do have a windowed case, I made it myself, and it is bi_chen!

• No I don't have a windowed case.

• No I don't have a windowed case, and I don't want one.

• No I don't have a windowed case, but I'm going to get one.

• No I don't have a windowed case, but I'm going to BUILD one!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
Which IEEE 802 standard includes an algorithm to prevent network loops in routing tables?

Answer: D - 802.1

Explanation: Without sounding too confusing...check this site out.

so you are talking about spanning tree protocol... no... prevent loops in routing table??? 802.1 doesn't deal with routing.... you are insane mike...

Well, perhaps the wording could have been used better here. Routing table (as in used by a router.....no, of course not in 802.1). But, a routing table for MAC addresses? (absolutely). A switch to switch environment also makes very simple MAC address related "routing" decisions. It wasn't intended to be a trick question but I can see where someone may have gotten confused. But if you were to fully read the 802.1D standard...it's quite clear. When using the STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) as you mentioned, these switches almost turn into smart switches that can handle a Layer3 decision but still communicate of layer2. The "routing table" used in the STP does include about 6-7 fields that uniquely ID the next bridge in the segment.
Sorry about the confusion. ;)

-Mike

Sort of, they are able to make "layer3 smart" decisions as a normal layer3 switch would be able to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom