Need advice on IP security camera setup

RubeSmench

Baseband Member
Dear fellow Tech-Forumers:
I work at a retail store, with an upcoming review for which I am up for a promotion to
Assistant Systems Administrator. I am a Computer Science student and have completed the Cisco Network Discovery courses (pretty good comprehension of network fundamentals). I would like to go into the meeting (August 19th) with something to show my value and I know our GM has long been wanting more cameras within our store (~20 currently).

When I asked our current Systems Administrator about the situation, she informed me that our current network is getting bogged down by the bandwidth the cameras generate. I have little knowledge regarding our current system specifications (which I apologize for, but I will update the posting Monday afternoon when I obtain a little more information).

The current camera system is IP based, and the data is saved to a local server. I believe it is a mix of wired and wireless cameras. Currently, about 10-15 computers have the camera management software installed so that all of management has access in the event any problems arise. I do not believe it would be a problem to limit the viewing activity to one location, such as in the loss prevention office.

In summation (in the event my paragraphs are not clear), I am seeking advice on reducing the bandwidth generated by our IP camera surveillance system. Additionally, I am considering proposing installing a network monitor, so if anyone has suggestions for a basic straight forward application, I would appreciate that. My professor recommended Solarwinds during my Cisco courses, however I do not believe they would go for the price tag.

Forgot to mention, our workstations are all Windows based (XP/Vista/7), our server is running Windows Server 2008.

Thanks in advance for anyone who put forth the effort to read all of this and made it down to here. I will do my best to document our network tomorrow, and if there is any additional information which could be useful, or anything I forgot, please let me know.

- Rube

Hi,

I will assume in your situation that the camera network is the same network of the computers.
I would like to suggest that you to create a different subnet for the cameras or create a VLAN and then route it to your computer network. By the way how many IP cameras and computers in your network?

Back
Top Bottom