my system... dead. xorg... dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish

Baseband Member
When I boot kubuntu, right after loading the nvidia splash screen it hangs up on the battery test. I never get to kdm.

so, i press cntrl-alt-f1 and enter the command line.

i login as myself and try "startx"

i get a large error, this is part of it.

"
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0.
Warning: font renderer for "pcf.z" already registered at priority 0.
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gg" already registered at priority 0.
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0.

Fatal server Error
Caught signal 11
"

the last thing i changed to my x-config file was adding code to enable translucency. (kdesu kwrite /etc/xorg-conf) , then added:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

to the end of my config file. my post about that is

http://kubuntuforums.net/index.php?topic=1849.0 <--- there

please help! its quite urgent- i have files I need for work on this machine!

thanks alot-

fish

so change it back or reconfigure xorg which will generate a new xorg.conf file by default

You can still get the files from the machine if X is failing and you need the files before you'll have time to troubleshoot (assuming making a new xorg.conf didn't work)...if there is no CD burner/floppy drive/USB key to cp the files to, use pine or mutt (command line email clients) or if you're a webmail user, links or lynx (command line browsers) to email the stuff to yourself to grab the essential files elsewhere. Good stuff to always keep around for emergency "upgrading such failed can't revert back need to work now can't spend even small amount of time fixing this help!" situations.

I've got all the files I need, thanks.

But my x-org.config file isn't cooperating with my nvidia drivers...
my system is in turmoil/.

if you installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia's website you have to follow the directions in the readme file EXACTLY, and they might not support translucency

i followed kubuntu instructions...

i did

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-dev
then i did the config whatever that does.

well, I have no clue what thats gonna end up doing, the nvidia driver directions from the nvidia site are quite specific........no apt-get involved at all

download their driver, run it, it will compile a driver and install it, then change 2 lines in the xorg.cong file and its done

sounds like yet another case of automated crap on a linux distro not working right, some things should be done the old-fashioned way, w/o the proper nvidia driver installed glx isnt going to work to begin with and i dont know what apt-get is gonna do with this

I dont know what kubuntu comes with either, im not gonna be much help with any distro that does this sort of thing. try linuxquestions.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom