Mute Modem dial-up sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompFreak247

Solid State Member
I have a Copper.net basic dial up connection, and I use Windows XP to dial up (No 3rd party dialing programs). However, the sounds of my internal modem dialing always come through my speakers when I dial, and I am forced to either mute the sound temporarily or listen to the annoying and loud dial up noises. I tried opening my modem properties and sliding the "Speaker Volume" slider to off, but it did nothing. How can I stop my modem from dialing aloud?

Thanks,
-CompFreak247

i wish i could help, but ive honestly never heard of a dial up modem making noises through the speaker. i always thought they had their own little speaker built-in

It's definitely coming through my speakers, probably because it's an internal modem inside my laptop.

Hello,

Open the Volume Control in Windows (by double clicking the sound icon in the taskbar tray) then go to Options > Properties. Make sure 'Playback' is checked. Then in the 'Show the following volume controls' list look for 'Phone Line', 'Wave Phone', 'Modem' or anything modem / phone related. If you see one and the check box is unchecked, check it then click ok.

Next, locate the mixer level in the volume control and mute it.

Mikes, the only volume option I found on the modem was the volume slider. Alvin, the only controls I have are Wave, SW Synth, Cd Player, and PC Speaker. Disabling the SW Synth and PC Speaker had no effect on the dial up sounds.

I just found the solution. A little goggling revealed that all I had to do was add "M0" to the modem's initialization commands. I tried it, and it worked. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

you can removed the speeker from the modem card

[sarcasm]I think cutting open my laptop case to find the internal modem might void the warranty[/sarcasm]Sorry, it just annoys me when people don't read my responses. Thanks for trying to help anyway...

you could have run around screaming in an equally annoying manner. lol. glad to see you got your issue fixed. I hate dial up, but im on dsl now, thank god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom