Mp3 Player for Military use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodreb

Baseband Member
I'm shipping out this summer to basic, (Marines) and I'm looking for a good mp3 player to take with me. Needs to be flash memory and at-least 5 gig. Since i wont have access to a computer at all times, it will need to hold a good 1500+ songs. It needs to be rugged.
I've been looking at Ipods, but i don't like what I've seen with my friends. (Freezing, Crappy battery life - non replaceable battery by end user). I looked at Microsoft's one for about 2 sec, and then laughed. I'm leaning mostly toward a creative zen.
I like this one cause of the color, (a black and orange one.)
Newegg.com - Creative Black/Orange 5GB USB 2.0 Zen NEEON Model 70PF123000003 - Retail
I'm also leaning toward this one too,
Newegg.com - Creative Zen V Plus Black/Blue 8GB USB 2.0 Portable Player Model 70PF2073001Y1 - Retail
But, I'm not sure.

Google, for once, doesn't help, because EVERY mp3 player calls its self durable... I need something that will take my diving into the dirt, 150+ pounds on it as i role, and can take a couple hundred miles of jogging/jeep riding.

Anyone know of anything. Price means noting to me, (well.. noting over 1000 on a mp3 player I'm most likely going to break)

Oh, needs to be usb 2.0...

any help would be appreciated, cause i don't trust the advertisements for products anymore...

Save your money and do the research... you won't be able to use it while in basic anyway. Once you get out of basic and go to your follow on schooling and/or base, you can obviously get soomething then, but until that point, you won't have a life, much less time for music.

Hmm.. I guess i should just wait till after then. Ya, I wasn't going to bring it to basic with me, but when i get deployed. Well, i'll just wait till then to take a look at the market then, and see what has improved.

Ty for the advice guys.

Trust me, you wont be using an MP3 player at all. The only thing youll be able to have with you is your wallet and an address book. Everything else will be put into personal effects and not be given back to you the last week youre there.

You wont even get to use one in MCT/SOI, since youll always be in the field.

Trust me, Im a corporal in iraq.

EDIT: ive got an 80gb black ipod video sitting next to me. so far its survived 7 months of iraq in a small rubber case. Make sure you get something that is compatible with 220v electricity, im sure most mp3 players are. Youll be over here in a year or so depending on your MOS and what unit you check into.

honestly i think you need an MP3 player. i bought an ipod 2 days before i got shipped off to basic, iduno what i would've done on the ride the whole way there without my music (shipping to basic is a very nerve-wrecking process) even though you wont be able to use it while your in basic.. i'd get one.

ipods have an excellent warranty, apple will replace your ipod with a bran new one 1 year from purchase date, no questions asked.

Hmm. Did they give you any problems/hassle during processing or anything for having it? What did you do with it once you were there? I just don't want to stand out, or do anything that will get any negative attention on me.

So, Ipod's are decent? I just want to make sure it not going to break or get dmged by dust or sand. As im 100% sure il be in Iraq by christmas.

Oh, and CPLeverett, if you don't mind, do you have any tips for someone going in? I've been studying my *** off to memorize all the things i can: (rank structure) (Soldier's Code) (Phonetic Alphabet) (General Orders)

always remember its all just a mind game. do what your drill instructors tell you to and you should have no problems. do not attract any negative attention to yourself, otherwise youre in for a world of hurt. dont give a drill instructor a reason to know your name. When I went through my hats never knew who I was. If they dont know you, they cant mess with you.

other than that just keep a good attitutde and youre gona have a fun filled three months. you can pm me if you have any other questions. I could probably tell you a lot about your seconday schools if I knew your MOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom