Mozilla ships developer release of Firefox 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Mozilla has hit an early milestone on the road to the next version of its open-source browser, but the final product is still a year away, developers say.

Free IT resource

The Only Comprehensive, Hot-Pluggable, Unbreakable Middleware
Sponsored by Oracle
Related Stories

Data export, delivered
Adobe, Mozilla unite on Web apps
Popular Tags
firefox, mozilla, firefox3.0
The Mozilla team released its first alpha release of Firefox 3.0 Friday, giving Firefox and Web application developers an early look at the next-generation browser. This release is not intended for regular users, not even those who like to play around with early versions of the product, Mozilla said.

The software, code-named Gran Paradiso, comes just six weeks after Mozilla shipped version 2.0 of the browser, but it has already been more than a year in development, according to Mike Schroepfer, Mozilla's vice president of engineering.

The final version of Firefox 3.0 is expected to be released by the end of 2007. Developers hope that it will be a major step toward making Web applications indistinguishable from programs that are installed on the desktop, Schroepfer said.

Gran Paradiso features better support for a number of graphics standards, such as the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) language and the Canvas specification, Schroepfer said. "These are fairly major architectural changes to enable us to improve performance."

Firefox 3.0 also supports the Cairo graphics library, which aims to make Web pages look the same whether they are being printed or viewed on a Windows PC, a Macintosh or small-screen device.

The Firefox 3.0 plan calls for browsing, bookmarking and privacy enhancements to be built into the browser, but Schroepfer said there is still a lot of time to work out new features. "It's a bit early to be talking about the user-facing features," he said.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/08/HNff3_1.html

That sounds interesting but it is a disappointment that it wont be released until the end of 2007...

If I could figure out how to install it alongside my FF2, I'd be trying it out.

Trotter said:
If I could figure out how to install it alongside my FF2, I'd be trying it out.

You can do that. At least I think so.

1. Make a new folder in the Program Files. Give a name like "Firefox 3". Install Firefox in that folder (you'll have to do an Advanced Install).

Hmm... Seems that it installs itself as "Program Files\Gran Paradiso", so no worries. And with Nightly Tester Tools, I was able to make all of my extensions compatible.

So, I guess I can be a guinee pig.

Hmmm... Yahoo Mail Beta doesn't recognize FF3 atall. I have to use FF2 or IE Tab to check my email.

I d/l it last night, it's now called "Minefield" I'm assuming that's a description of what you'd be walking into if you decide to use it. It seemed fine, didn't look any different but here's a couple things I noticed.

1. I was unable to delete bookmarks by clicking "organize bookmarks" and selecting the ones I wanted to delete. The only way to do it was to click bookmarks and then right click on the one you wanted to delete.

2. When you're downloading files, no way to see the status cause the download thingy doesn't work.

3. FasterFox extension not yet compatible

Those are the only things that jumped out at me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom