Modem Hacker Charged With ‘Aiding Computer Intrusion'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Modem Hacker Charged With ‘Aiding Computer Intrusion'

I'm not taking a side in this argument or arguing the merits of the case, I am merely pointing out the fact that this guy shouldn't be surprised the feds came knocking on his door. ****, I'm actually amazed it took as long as it did.

An Oregon hardware hacker and author has been hit with federal criminal charges arising from his longstanding business of selling unlocked cable modems that can be used to steal extra speed from a broadband provider, or obtain free service.

Unlocked cable modems? Never heard of it. Will the broadband provider know if someone is using Unlocked cable modems to steal extra speed?

Im sure they do. I had messed with mine a few years ago and they shut me off, then I had to switch ISP

I've done this once before. My ISP called me and asked if I had noticed a speed increase. I played dumb, and acted like I had no idea what they were talking about. Needless to say they saw my increased bandwidth, and how much more data I was using. I lost my internet a few days later, and never wondered why. Glad I never touched this subject again though. :p

Why don't these people get legitimate jobs? I'm sure they could get a job and get paid a six figure salary for finding flaws like this for big ISP's and other related things..so why don't they use it for good :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom