Media Streaming to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I've been researching and trying this for a few years, I want to stream music & videos on PC to a TV in another room in the house.
I've had a Pinnacle Showcenter for a few years, but I have never managed to use it wirelessly (instructions & held-desk abysmal), and is now out-of-date.
I am looking for a newer solution, has anybody another ideas or experience of other products that can do similar?
I've heard of popcornhour, and I think netgear/d-link/lnksys have versions, but the selection is complicated....help!

I understand your pain and frustrations in streaming to multiple locations at once. I have an idea for a centralized media server to get started. These can take a couple hundred dollars and run either windows HTC or Windows Server. With the windows server(I forget which version, but its a pretty simple user friendly interface) you can have your main center for hosting files, large ones. That'd be the first step, the second step is setting up an actual home theater center where you would like the videos and music to stream. With windows HTC you would plug into a television with HDMI, PC or Component inputs from a bare-bones system. Host the files on the server, connect it to the network and then access the files on a wireless signal throughout the house.

That is the easiest and less costly way I can think of. Or you could buy satellite television with a couple of receivers. The concept remains the same.

Thanks, but you haven't explained much...do you recommend d-link and advise their newer wireless media player?
Why do you need TVersity, does the d-link kit not have its own?

The tversity setup is tons better, it runs with pretty much any media player, and its free.

My setups older, 5yrs now, but it still does my job. I haven't looked into any of their new stuff, so i have no clue on them.

Tversity though is pretty good. You could try it on your old one, but it doesn't run upnp, so it could mess some stuff up.

I have got & setup a DSM-510, but it keeps losing setting when powered off/on, and I have to re-setup wireless connection repeatedly, D-link help is not great on this, any ideas?
Also, I have tried sharing files thru Media Player & Tiversity (files added/shared on both successfully), but when accessing both either server on TV thru DSM, it cannot find/see the files?
Another - how do you delete all the rubbish/unused folders in Tiversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom