MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
I was thinking about getting a simple MacBook, the 2GHz version, to do simple tasks such as carry it down to Java (coffee/internet cafe) and such. I also would really like to sit outside in the nice summer air and work but my iMac is obviously limited on it's flexibility and where I can bring it and can't.

My iMac is a little slow though, 1.8 GHz, not 2.0. If I even got a MacBook I would have a faster CPU speed, granted a terrible GPU and a little lacking in the HDD department.

So, my ultimate question is this: should I sell my iMac and get a really nice MacBook Pro, or just get a MacBook?

If I were you, I'd sell the iMac and get a 2.16Ghz Macbook Pro.

Although, the iMac has a lot of storage space compared to the Macbook Pro....

It all depends on what you use the computers for. Storing lots of stuff or not, lol.

The difference between 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz is pretty negligable. A small increase in RAM will make much more of a difference than a 200 MHz CPU increase.

GameGURU said:
I also would really like to sit outside in the nice summer air and work but my iMac is obviously limited on it's flexibility and where I can bring it and can't.
One thing to note is the glossy screen that they decided to bind the MacBook to. I really hope they make it optional in the future, like in the MacBook Pros. This alone would make me think twice before getting a MacBook. In your situation, note that the sunlight you get along with the nice summer air could render the glossy screen much too reflective and thus difficult to see. For this reason I'd look into how much you could sell the iMac for.

Re: Re: MacBook

Qiranworms said:
The difference between 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz is pretty negligable. A small increase in RAM will make much more of a difference than a 200 MHz CPU increase.

I agree, 1.8ghz to 2.0ghz wont be that big of a change, but 1.8 to 2.16 would be noticably faster.

Actually, I just previewed one today at the student orientation. I must say, nice little piece of hardware. It feels like I could break it with a toothpick but oh well...

Check it out - buy a Mac and get a free iPod Nano after rebate. I smell an eBay auction and a Macbook Pro for me in the near future :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom