Looking for Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderbox

Baseband Member
Alright guys i am graduating high school this month and i am very interested in going into to a computer related field. I took a IT class in high school this year and really enjoyed it but i really dont know were i should go from here. By far my favorite part of the class was hands on building systems and trouble shooting hardware.

So im just looking for some advice on what classes would be best to fit my interest.

Best advice, go to college and get an IT degree. Your first two in a half years of college will be general credits (writing, math, business, etc) and general computer classes (if you are studying computers). After that you will get into more specified classes depending on your degree (programming, engineering, etc).

Point being your best bet for success in IT will be a college degree, and in doing that you will get knowledge in a variety of computer fields before you have to choose a major.

^^^ good advice

don't forget certifications though. A+ has a lot to deal with hardware ..but it's not exactly top notch greatness either (no offense to anyone though..i probably couldn't pass it yet anyway lol).

A good major would be computer science. It's what I plan on doing. Class involve: software engineering, programming language, operating systems, etc etc (actual names of classes that i will take :\)

Here is my advice:
Find what you want to do in IT first and see if you can do that, many people i know say they want to be game developers but they program web apps and never get a chance to play games. Be realistic in what you want to do as well, there might be a million and one guys who can program the next bit of software but you have indectaed that your into problem solving so you might want to look at systems administration or IT support roles.

It's always a good idea to get a Uni or Colidge degree to put on you CV an at the moment a decent computer science degree is hard to find, the best example i can provide is from my on experience of hieing staff for my company: I had over 350 CV's (resume to the Americans) from a mix of countries currently the biggest educational export of India is Computer Science students from the Central university of Calcutta it might say that have it but they have two big deficits:

1) Languide skills.
2) The certificate its self.

Number two is interesting as in india getting your degree an what level you actually achieve is down to how much you can pay not what grade you get, I was unfortunate enough to interview several people who bought there degree and when asked simple questions they failed them miserably and to be quite frank there English languide skills sucked donkey balls.

In short getting a CS degree from a western and above all SERIOUS centre of higher education will be worth it in the long run, it may cost more and you will have to work for it you will be able to find a job faster and above all get a job worth having.

Alright thx for the advice guys ill be checking out some colleges and seeing what classes i can take through the month so ill post back and let everyone know when i get some more information.

I wouldn't worry about IT as much. The guys who make the real money in IT have been there for awhile, and the jobs are pretty slim for the new guys. You may get lucky, but don't bet on it.

If you really want to get into computers then get a degree in Computer sciences or Computer engineering. Electrical engineering is also good, but that can take you other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom