Looking for PCI wireless adapter for HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Have never bothered with wireless adapters before but need one to go upstairs in the second level, the router, WRT54G is in the basement. It's for a bedroom HTPC, recommendations?

Was thinking of either:

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WMP54GS WIRELESS-G PCI Network Card 802.11G 54MBPS 2.4GHZ W/ Speedbooster - WMP54GS In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WMP54G Wireless PCI Adapter 54MBPS 802.11G - WMP54G In Canada.

Is the "speedbooster" model worth the extra $$$

Any other recommendations instead of these?

The Linksys WRT54G works fine, I'm just looking for the pci wireless card for the htpc comp. I'm planning on picking up a 24 port switch later for the rest of the house and the annual LAN parties.

Oh right. Those aren't routers BTW and do not replace that functionality what they did for me is allow me to connect to wired "islands" of PCs onto my existing wireless network. I just find it more convenient than buying cards and fiddling with drivers on each PC.
If you need a PCI card for sure though I think I had a couple of older versions of the WMP54G (v3 and v4 I think) and they were alright as far as I remember. Mine (the other was for my bro) occasionally cut out but then I'm in a bad location for signal.

Ah, i get it.

I'm not a huge wireless guy, except for this htpc up in my bedroom every comp in the house is wired in. If I could get wire to the bedroom I'd go for it. Unfortunately wireless is the only option for now so just want something reliable with enough range that I wont' have an issue connecting to the router in the basement.

Thinking back the WMP54GV4 wasn't that good it was fine when it was first installed then got progressively worse. You might want to try the speedboost version or a different manufacturer altogether.
I'm not a wireless guy either.

Yeah....that's what I was thinking, considering the distance.

Anyone else have a product recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom