looking for a Registry cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mak has a point, but I personally have used registry cleaners for ages, and I find they work pretty well. Mostly after a bunch of uninstalling programs and cleaning up malware and such.

I use a combo of Ace Utilities and CCleaner. I've used Ace for years, I prefer that, but I notice CCleaner picks up a few extra things after I run Ace. So it's kinda like one picks up some things, one picks up the other.

CCLeaner is really a Registry Cleaner. It is mainly a program that finds file and entries that have no association and marks them for removal. I have used CCLeaner myself as it is a good program. But as mentioned already it is not a true Registry Cleaner. IT does much more.

Using CCleaner is all that is really needed. Anything else is just overkill for no real benefit.

Mak, what do you think of CleanUp? It was recomended to me by Osiris to use before posting my HijackThis log, along with CCleaner and Malwarebytes (which is a great piece of software). Is it something that just helped Osiris find what needed to be removed?

That is just like CCleaner from what i see on the website.

CleanUp! is a powerful and easy-to-use application that removes temporary files created while surfing the web, empties the Recycle Bin, deletes files from your temporary folders and more.

Which looks like it does a lot of what CCleaner does but with some added features. So i would think that it would be fine to use since it really doesnt mess with the Registry just Temp Files and Recycle Bin files.

I have noticed that the registry cleaner in tune up only looks for keys that are no longer tied to anything, or if a file is missing for that key it reports that key...

RegSeeker has a rather different option there. You can specify a particular driver and it will go in after it for you. That's for times when you have a driver left on after a program has been removed. Here however I'll simply go into the system32 folder for manually removing any left behind as well as looking for the main keys left in the registry.

So... "Do I need a Registry Cleaner?" "Will a cleaner speed up My system?"

Answer:

Summary of Registry Cleaner Software:
Do not bother with this. It it unlikely to help, it can cause harm.
There are no end-user benefits from running registry cleaners. Unecessary entries in the registry do no harm. This should not be a regular maintenance chore. It most certainly if done should not be automated.

I hold to the singular distinction I made in the beginning: there are times that a fast registry editor with search is needed to fix a single issue under Expert hands. There is no justification for the regular use of automated registry cleaning tools; and as the results above show, they are of dubious merit as the “fix” for even one-off problems that need solving.

Bill Castner
MS-MVP, AumHa VSOP, DTS-L
Do I need a Registry Cleaner? | What the Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom