Linux+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bench tech i'm more of a isolated person. But hey at this point i'm willing to do whatever to further my career but i'm leang towards bench tech.

is it the CCNA or the CCENT i start with? Do you tink i should do the network+ first and get familiar with networks or do you think i should jump straight to the Cisco(don't know which one ccent or ccna to start? I have till December well really january but you said Cisco would help my chances more with getting a higher paying job?

I know you have no knowlege of this but what would you say they usually start out the pay in major cities i know it varies but i keep getting different onces some say 15 some say 20 then some say 10 who knows. but any advice is welcomed sicne you are the only one i've gotten to actually to keep replying to my threads i'm sure i can get pretty annoying with all the questions

As far as pay, a regular bench tech is the lowest paid of them all, depending on city I have seen bench tech rates go from $9.75 to 14.00. Field Techs (basic pc and hardware) from 12.00 - 16.00, Network techs $14-22, and specialized field techs $15-high 20's. Then from there you have the various help desk and admin type positions, which is where you start making really good money.

If your goal is strictly bench tech then I really wouldn't bother with more than A+ and vendor certs. Depending on your age you would most likely get bored of being a bench tech really quick.

Lets start this again, what parts of IT do you really love and would love to work around? If you are the type that typically likes being alone or have as little human interaction as possible you should consider admin type positions

Depending on the career track you want really dictates your cert path. A lot of guys say no matter what you should get cert a then b then c etc, but why not learn from my experience and get the certs that will advance you faster

My lifetime goal is not to be a bench tech but i know since i have no work experience with that i know thats where i would have to start off.

My main career path is to be a network engineer. I really want to work with networks setting them up and maintaining things of that nature. Yeah i really am a isolated person don't really care for the public thing but i do like the business side of things

So with this career path what would you say would be a good cert path? I just don't want to study for something i would never use or would have a love for

Which is the first step in Cisco? CCNa or Ccent? and what book would you recommend for someone with no prior knowledge in this field cause some books start off talking about the subject as if you already have some info on the it. I want one that acts as if they are teaching you the basics.

NoNameNY has given some amazing info.

I would just like to add:

Getting Linux+ will not hurt you. From what I've painfully learned, the more broader of horizons you know, the easier it is to get a job. Like businesses in my area, private contractors are selected based on the number, and level of CompTIA Certs, and ETA-I Certs they have. And the extent of how far they go.

I'd strongly recommend pursuing Security+ after A+ and Network+. As well as RFID+ (regardless if whether or not you'll ever use it, but any jobs that require working software on phones, radios, etc. RFID+ is absolute must) Server+ and CTP+ would be great as well.

Not even going into ETA-I certs that would be great to have as well.

And best of all, these certs are all a studyguide away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom