IT Job

kalessi

In Runtime
What kind of skills do I need to be an IT guy in an office...

There is just so much Info out there I don't know where to start.... And my main focus is networking but I don't know if that's out of my league or not.... Would there be a lot of training with that field? I'm just kind of having some anxiety about the field of study I chose.... Lol

Would geek squad be a good start? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
First line IT guys are jack of all trades, essentially. Good at everything, masters of none. You'll slowly pick up what you're good at and what you aren't so good at :tongue:

A few of the most common items for first tier IT.... DHCP / Static IPs (mostly for printers), installing and troubleshooting printers and computers (software and hardware), replacing old and broken hardware, etc.

I think networking would be your best bet. It's probably the most common issue I've come across. Just general stuff... "Why won't this web page load?" "I can't access the shared directory" etc etc

I think the most valuable skill any IT person can posses is the ability to use Google effectively to troubleshoot the problems your clients are having. No joke.

I think the most valuable skill any IT person can posses is the ability to use Google effectively to troubleshoot the problems your clients are having. No joke.

Valuable? yeah... Most valuable...debateable. IMO customer service and people skills are much more important than technical skill. Technical stuff and troubleshooting can be taught... harder to teach customer service skills.

It can be taught but alot of employers are looking for people who have experience...

Getting certs can help show education, and either getting an entry level job somewhere (if you have to Geek Squad could work as experience...but if you know anything at all, then you'll be babysitting other people...and don't forget you'll be a salesman first more than a technician at Geek Squad, since it's a retail place).

I know one member here found a volunteer place in his area that a lot of people in his area used to gain experience to put on their resume.

Yeah hopefully I'll find something... Ideally with Cisco but I would take an entry level IT also...

Without any experience, you're pretty much going to have to get some sort of entry level IT job somewhere; such as at a call center or help desk.

Since you mentioned Cisco... I'm assuming you want to go into networking? Do you have any networking certs or education related to networking?

Working on an applied science degree in networking and currently in the netacad program with Cisco... I want to have my first Cisco cert by January hopefully.... Watching some cbt nugget videos too....

Back
Top Bottom