Issues with Chkdsk...need options

Eagle1kenobi

Beta member
I'm on an older laptop, the attached monitor is toast and as such this is plugged into the dsub as an external monitor. I'm aware of a few bad sector areas and file system errors on the hdd this uses. The issue is that scandisk absolutely never fixes issues from within windows. The external monitor depends on the windows driver being active.

Assuming basic knowledge of how scandisk behaves during a reboot, it should just automatically do its crap in lieu of no keys being pressed. It is not, however correcting the issues. I cannot see what is going on prior to the windows driver loading and as such this is completely inadequate to do what needs to be done.

So, I'm looking for options.

I'm running win8.1 64 on a Crappaq (no really, Compaq) CQ60-615dx

Last edited:
Plug the hard drive into another PCs and run chkdsk on it.. That will 100% work.

However, chkdsk should always work on reboot, as it does not mount the volume.

Maybe your sys and OS are on same volume and causing the issue? Just of the top of my head.

Plug the hard drive into another PCs and run chkdsk on it.. That will 100% work.

However, chkdsk should always work on reboot, as it does not mount the volume.

Maybe your sys and OS are on same volume and causing the issue? Just of the top of my head.

+1 to the bolded.

However, I've seen chkdsk many times not work 'always on reboot' - several times I'll have to issue the "chkdsk /f /r" command twice in order for it to actually run the scan, for some reason.

Taking it out would be the best way to make sure it's actually being scanned if you can't see it.

Chkdsk also stores a log entry in Event Viewer under the source name "wininit." If you get the chkdsk to run you could check there for the results. But you should really just take it out and run it on another machine. Should take a backup as well if you haven't already since the drive may be on it's last leg(s).

Chkdsk also stores a log entry in Event Viewer under the source name "wininit." If you get the chkdsk to run you could check there for the results. But you should really just take it out and run it on another machine. Should take a backup as well if you haven't already since the drive may be on it's last leg(s).

Winlogon is also another source for chkdsk logs in Event Viewer.

Won't really help as much in this situation though, since OP can't get the system booted / view the logs with a busted display :p.

I don't have access to another machine where I'm at right now or I'd have tried that already. Most of the drive map is clear:
lf7BGdV
....for some reason, this img isn't showing here, where it shows elsewhere. A right click/open in new tab will show it. It's relevant as it's the drive map.

That being said, whether this is old school or not..I don't defrag unless the error check is clean. The primary user of this machine doesn't generally do maintenance..and with this being the only machine for awhile that is accessible I took the initiative to.

As it is a laptop, heat is always a consideration... at last check the hdd sat at 55c which is above the 45c threshold. I'll try the chkdsk /f /r method for now and check the logs as directed. I guess I was just hoping there was something capable of doing it under windows

Last edited:
I guess I was just hoping there was something capable of doing it under windows

Well you could always try booting off of a Windows Install disc, and then choose the "Repair my computer" option and open up a command prompt from there, and run the chkdsk command that way.

Back
Top Bottom