Is My Computer Ready for a 4K Monitor at 60 hz?

Thanks for the information. Based on this article it looks like a driver upgrade will allow my HD4000 to use 4k: New Intel HD 3000 and HD 4000 Drivers: Support for Windows 8, 4k Ultra HD, OpenGL 4.0, and More « UltrabookNews, Reviews and the Ultrabook Database

In addition to some game-specific performance updates, Intel has also enabled 4k Ultra HD video output and OpenGL 4.0 for Ivy Bridge / HD 4000, as well as OpenCL 1.1 for Sandy Bridge / HD 3000. All Ultrabook users should update, even if your Ultrabook has discrete graphics!

Yes, i've seen those reports but I haven't seen anything official from Intel. My information was coming straight from their specs sheet from their site. HD4000 and below only supports single link video output and their website says maximum 2560x1600 via Displayport. I have seen their IDF 2012 video showcasing HD4000 with 4k so really it's up to you to try it or not. Technically HDMI 1.4 supports 4k @ 30hz so if you have a 1.4 port it should work with these drivers if everything is correct.

Reactions: og5
Thanks for the information. Based on this article it looks like a driver upgrade will allow my HD4000 to use 4k: New Intel HD 3000 and HD 4000 Drivers: Support for Windows 8, 4k Ultra HD, OpenGL 4.0, and More « UltrabookNews, Reviews and the Ultrabook Database
Which is pretty much what I said already before :p. You just have to set a custom resolution/refresh rate in the config.

@OP: I guess you can get it to work through HDMI, but you have to set custom resolution/refresh rate through the driver config utility:

Here's how to set custom resolutions to get it to work (look at the section for Ivy Bridge):
2560x1440 or 2560x1600 via HDMI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Unless what you're referencing means that setting the custom resolution isn't necessary and that it's already an option in the new drivers?

Reactions: og5
From what I'm reading, it's supposed to be native. I still think he will run into hardware limitations though. I mean why else wouldn't they update their spec sheet?

Back
Top Bottom