Is LAN ethernet? Do I need an adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoAlpha

Solid State Member
configuring new computer, and the Motherboard comes with LAN 1x 10/100 or something like that. they also offer a separate wireless network adaptor. Isn't LAN ethernet? And if it isn't, what is it? And in that case, do I need an adaptor for ethernet?

LAN stands for Local Area Connection. Most LAN's are connected by Ethernet, and broadband mostly runs on PPoE (Point-to-Point over Ethernet).

In other words, just plain Yes.:D

no your onboard ethernet is fine, you wont get any more by buying a seperate adaptor.Just keep in mind that the onboard lan will use a very small amount of your system resources.

um... So, not to sound stupid, but LAN is my 'onboard ethernet'? So the wireless network adaptor card is unnecessary?
Sorry, but if you read over the replies, they are drop ambiguous for the uninitiated.

Lan stand for local area network...figure it out for yourself.

You already have an adaptor.

LeoAlpha said:
um... So, not to sound stupid, but LAN is my 'onboard ethernet'? So the wireless network adaptor card is unnecessary?
Sorry, but if you read over the replies, they are drop ambiguous for the uninitiated.

yes, your "onboard ethernet" is called the onboard LAN. this is what your ethernet cable will plug into. the only reason you would need a wireless card in your system is if you connect via wireless network. hope that clears things up for you!!!

the wireless ethernet card is used so that you do not have to actually plug a cable into your onboard 10/100 ethernet....

from the computer I am using right now, I have an integrated 10/100 ethernet as part of my motherboard, however, because there was no way i could get a wire from that to my router, i am using a wireless card to access my router that is on a different floor.......if my computer was close to my router or cable modem, i would rather have a cable, but because that isnt an option i went with a wireless card, they both offer the same thing, most laptops have both choices....the 10/100 is actually a little faster, but the wireless is more mobile....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom