Is a computer profession for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
I'm about to turn 23 and after high school I had to get a job to help the family. But now I'm getting sick of where I'm heading. Before I waste my time and money going to school for computer I would like to know if the computer world(This forum being the center of the computer world) thinks I would be successful. Here is were my limited knowledge stands.... I know what all specs mean hardware wise. I have installed hard drives,Ram, video cards, network cards,Tv cards,DVD-roms, basically everything but setting a chip in. Software wise I know my way around all windows pretty well. I have never used linux and the only programming I have done is basic html and made games and math/trig programs for my teachers on the TI calculators back in high school.As far as networking I only thing I have done was network my computer and ps2. Other then that I have had a lot of problems with an older computer that had me on the techline for like a month doing various things which taught me alot.So that is roughly my computer experience.

Now for my education I'm the underachiever type slept a lot,brought magazines instead of books to class, still pulled a 3.0gpa at a private school.My best skill is figuring out problems and better ways to do things( you show me something I'll show you how to make it better). Now if you haven't gone cross eye trying to read my horrible grammar. For some reason my English skills suck!!! Yes I' am from this country! My act scores were something like 27 math 28 science and 15 English. So if your still with me here my question is do you think I would make it in the computer world? And if so what field? I was looking at network engineer. School in mind is westwood BTW anyone know how much that school is?

ive always had a passion for computers. start from my pre educated years playing games and running apps on my uncles machine. then around 14-15 or so i wanted to be a "hacker" and the hacking community told me to read as much as i can. even if i didnt fully understand it, then read it again. I think i got my starting knowledge of network design from using hacking/cracking/bomber apps. i went to school for computers at a votech. they got me a job in an office environment. Thats where i was able to use the knowledge i had and implement new technology for the company. from there i got a associates degree in nnetworking and now im training for my MCSE/MCDBA.

my suggestion to you is to build as many different systems as u can. Find apps for all different kinds of purposes. This will gain you experience....and you'll prolly find out if you can make it as IT or just dont really like working with systems

i will reiterate what ppl told me. READ READ READ the rfc's are a good place to start

What are some good books to read? I have done some reading on the internet but its like I'll be reading and following it fine then bam hit a brick wall because I don't understand something. I think these forums are the greatest source of information we have. I read threw these a lot, but again I hit a brick wall. I have seen online computer dictionaries but a vague definition sometimes does not help. Everyone on these forums are so advanced I sometime feel like an ass asking what basic stuff is.

Thanks for all the replies this is really helping me make a big decision

A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, 5th Edition
By Michael Meyers, Scott Jernigan
Hardcover / 1184 Pages / Computing McGraw-Hill / October 2003 / 0072229918
List Price $59.99 / Similar to A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide

He also writes a network + book.

If your really serious about networking I suggest you find a school that has a Cisco class. If you really want to make alot of money then get into security. CCNA class will give you a good understand of networking, most company use cisco router so understanding how to troubleshoot and config a cisco router will lend you a job big time and a good pay as a start.

Also take some Microsoft classes, like windows 2000 pro/server.

For your bachelor degree you'll probably get linux and oracle, novell stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom