IP Conflict matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

inflames

Baseband Member
Greetings everyone!

I have a question...

i'm running windows xp pro SP2...

In the advanced properties of my network cards TCP / IP settings, I have 2 IP's added there:

192.168.205.226 (My Computer->Server->Internet)
172.23.17.81 (random Ip so that I can ping thewireless accesspoint and make sure it's working)

Sometimes I get the IP conflict error, my question is, is there any way to know on which IP the conflict is? the first or the second?

And also, can it be possible to get any information on the computer who just made the conflict?

Thanks, in advance ^_^

Your ip's have to have a one digit difference on the last point.
Eg: if the one ip is: 192.168.0.1, then the next must be 192.168.0.2

dnoch said:

That doesnt make sense, you dont need to have your IP numbers following one or another.

Personally on my network DHCP is set up to allow all odd addresses as static (1,3,5) and all dynamic on even adresses (2,4,6)

So I end up with a static internet gate (router) at 10.10.10.1, PC's at 10.10.10.[2,4,6,8,10,12] and a print server at 10.10.10.3, wireless access point at 10.10.10.5 and another router at 10.10.10.7

So you see they do not have to be right after one and another.

And to find out who is using the same IP as you, try a network sniffer on both network's until you find who is having a network conflict.

I have never had the problem of ip confliction, so I do not speak out of experience, but I know a few people that are computer technicians who have told me what I put above.
Fireworkserhaps, what is meant, is that they have to close to each other, not necaserily one after another.

dnoch said:

I don't think the IP range or number is a problem..

Because 192..... is what identifies me on the server I'm connecting through to the internet... which works fine.

and 172... is the range for the wireless equipment, i put a random number in C class (last digit if i'm correct) just so that I can ping the wireless accesspoint and make sure they're working..

DJ-CHRIS said:
And to find out who is using the same IP as you, try a network sniffer on both network's until you find who is having a network conflict.

By both networks, who/where do you mean? ^_^; please

i'm having two lan card using two diff ip eg x.x.0.1 and another is random for ISP. but i never had that problem

I had that problem a few times, after I run the network setup wizard and all of the computer are not on when I'm am doing it. I forgot the first route I went about fixing the problem, but now I will uninstall the ide driver of the the conflict computer that won't pick the internet, reboot the computer and all is fine. it will assign that network port a new ip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom