internetworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
I am looking to setup a small internetworking LAN group and I was wondering if someone could tell me the components that I will need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

I dont know much about "internetworking"..

Are you talking about having 2 different lans at 2 different locations and then join them together?

Something like a virtual private network (VPN) could do something like this I think.

We have a four 100BASE-TX hubs connected together by a single cable, which is an optical fiber cable. All of the hubs are part of a single LAN. We have twelve servers, three servers are connected to each hub. All servers are HP ProLiant ML350 G4p Storage Server with an OS of windows 2003 server.

We also have a two 100BASE-TX hubs. The cable connecting the two ports is unshielded twisted pair (CAT5) wire. All of the hubs form single LAN. We have 6 servers, 3 servers connected to each hub. All 6 servers are PRIMEPOWER 250 4U with Solaris as the OS.

I wam having trouble setting up a functional internetwork. I have to take into account for connectivity, reliability, network management, and flexibility. How should I address these issues. Are there certain services and software packages needed? I am not really familiar yet with OSI so if you can help out with that that would be great.

Thanks again for the help it is appreciated.

Lets do some brainstorming.

You have these:
6 Hubs total
18 Servers total

You can interconnect all the Hubs together, connect all the servers to the Hub and create a giant collision domain, but that wouldnÂ’t be the right way to do it, but cheap.

Or you can isolate them with a router. I would do something like this as my topology
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/law2k7/Drawing5.jpg

Start of with the physical layout first before you get over realm by the entire process. Get the network devices working before you deploy the servers. Routers should be use to isolated workstations from servers. Broadcast storm and collision are the main factor with hubs and switches. I would upgrade to switches for reliability and greater connectivity.

Law said:
Lets do some brainstorming.

You have these:
6 Hubs total
18 Servers total

You can interconnect all the Hubs together, connect all the servers to the Hub and create a giant collision domain, but that wouldnÂ’t be the right way to do it, but cheap.

Or you can isolate them with a router. I would do something like this as my topology
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/law2k7/Drawing5.jpg

Start of with the physical layout first before you get over realm by the entire process. Get the network devices working before you deploy the servers. Routers should be use to isolated workstations from servers. Broadcast storm and collision are the main factor with hubs and switches. I would upgrade to switches for reliability and greater connectivity.

Law, thanks for the help. With the image that you used as your topology, which looks great by the way, would that solve any connectivity, reliability, network management, and flexibility issues that may have come up?

Are there certain services and software packages needed? I am not really familiar yet with OSI so if you can help out with that that would be great.

Again, I appreciate your time and expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom