Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtown

Beta member
I apologise in advance if I posted this in wrong section.

Can anybody tell me how do I make Internet Explorer completly secure from cookies, spyware and other similar dangerous things?

Thanks.

few ideas... but others will have better ones:

1) put a "higher" level of security on your browser settings. On IE, go to tool, options, security settings

2) use a pop up blocker, etc.

3) ALWAYS have the browser "ask for permission" on things... THEN if the process ask you for your permission AND you don't know what program/website is asking for it or why... DON'T accept it.

Just hit cancel.

4) use common since... and be aware of where you are "surfing" to and what pages your going to.... Stay away from bad sites :)

Ya, I mean just to reiterate what Larry said, you need to do all of the things he said. Also, get a good spyware detector. I recommend Spybot and Adware, both of which are free.

Pop-Ups: Some can be harmful, but mostly they are just annoying. I have the Google toolbar and it blocks virtually every pop-up that appear on sites. I've had it for about 2 months and the counter is at "1474 blocked". That's pretty good for a free program. Get it at http://toolbar.google.com/

So...

Spyboy: Search and Destroy
Adaware
Google Toolbar

In addition to what Larry & Anarchy have said, make sure you use a firewall when surfing the web.

found this from microsofts site:

Is your computer infected with spyware or deceptive software? Take the following steps to avoid infecting your computer with spyware and deceptive software and to find out what to do if you are already infected.

Step 1: Adjust your Internet Explorer 6 (Web browser) security settings
You can adjust your Web browser's security settings to determine how much - or how little - information you are willing to accept from a Web site. The higher the security level, the lower the risk. The downside: using the highest security levels may make Web sites less usable.

Step 2: Don't accept downloads from strangers
The best defense against deceptive software is not to download it in the first place. Here are a few helpful tips that may help guard against deceptive software.

Install software only from Web sites you trust. Before you download anything from a Web site, ask yourself if you would feel comfortable doing business with that Web site. If the answer is no, then don't download the software. If you aren't sure, do some research, such as asking friends or checking other resources you trust.
Read the fine print. When you install any program make sure you read the message on each window before you click "Agree" or "OK." You should also carefully read any license agreements or privacy statements associated with the software. You may discover behaviors you find objectionable. If the window will not let you click "No" or "I do not accept", close the window by clicking on the "X" in the corner. Never click "Yes" or "I accept" just to get rid of the window.
Be wary of popular "free" music and movie file-sharing programs. Statistics show that many people get deceptive software on their system from these programs.
Step 3: Look for signs of deceptive software on your computer
Deceptive software is intended to run without your knowledge, but there are a few ways you can tell if your system is infected.

When you start your Internet browser, does it open to a page you've never seen before? When you select "search", are you taken to a page you do not recognize? Some deceptive software will alter these settings without your knowledge.
Is there a sudden increase in advertisements on pages where you've never seen them before? Deceptive software sometimes bombards you with pop-up ads no matter what page you visit. These ads are often for adult or other Web sites you may find objectionable.
Does your computer seem sluggish? Deceptive software is not necessarily designed to be efficient. The resources it uses to track your activities and deliver advertisements can slow down your computer and bugs in the software can make your computer crash.
Step 4: Use a tool to help detect and remove unwanted software
Several companies offer free software that will check your computer for unwanted software. These tools may help you determine if you have installed unwanted software and may help you remove it.

Step 5: Keep Windows up to date
The last step in helping keep yourself safe from deceptive software is making sure your Windows software is always current. You can do this by visiting Windows Update and by enabling Automatic Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom