Internet Diff b/w XP/Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLL_Med

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, up until yesterday i was running a laptop with windows xp sp2 and a really fast internet that consistently scores five stars on testmy.net. The problem is that now that i have my new vista desktop, which is head over heels more powerful than my lappy, the internet seems to be a smidge slower! I mean, the speed test says that its faster, but i know for a fact that surfing the web was faster on my lappy (but sustained downloads are faster on the desktop). Only thing i could think of that would cause this is the enormous amount of security features that Vista implements to keep me "safe". Screw safe i say, i ran with my firewall down and just AVG anti-virus/spybot on my lappy for 2 years, and never once had a virus problem. So, heres the question: what things can i turn off to maximize surfing fluidity? I have already brought down the firewall, but there has to be more! Im using Mozilla, just as an fyi. Help, plz, and thx =)

Hello,

There isnt much that can be done. The network was all redone in Vista. Using Firefox with Fasterfox is gong to be your best bet to get the max speed you can.

What kind of slow down have you noticed.

But honestly the whole networking stack was recoded for Vista and is done totally different in Vista than it was in XP. The only thing that might help is to disable IPv6. Other than that disable Defender might help.

Cheers,
Mak

Faster Fox? Ipv6? Elaborate please =) And as for Defender, off i go to tear down that crappy wall. Speaking of crappy walls, the plauge that is McAfee is on my computer. Its a decent program that i want to keep, but i know it can slow down lots of crap. Heres a list of things that are currently "On", what can/should i turn off to, once again, maximize fluidity.

Phishing Protection
Firewall Protection
Personal Information Protection
Virus Protection
Spyware Protection
System Guard
Script Scanning
E-Mail Virus Protection
Spam Protection
IM Virus Protection
E-Mail Spyware Protection
IM Spyware Protection

...wow, when i look at this list it seems that my internet has a frickin condom on it! All the safety, 1/4 of the fun lol. Since i choose my sites (partners) carefully, and have obvious knowledge that certain "YOUR A WINNER" crap is just that, crap, i think ill be okay with turning off most/all of this slow-down-fest. Thoughts?

Hello,

McAffee is one of the worse. I would say that is slowing you down more than anything Vista has done. I use Vista and my net speed is just the same if not a bit faster than when i am on XP. So remove McAfee and put on AVG or Avast. Try Comodod for a firewall.

Fasterfox is a extension for Firefox. Basically all it does is create more requests to the server than normal. It sends out like 20 requests to the servers compared to the 1 that you normally send out. You will need to install Nightly Tester Tools to get that extension to work in Firefox 3.

IPv6 is the new IP layout that is going to be coming on in the next few years. IPv4 which we know and use now is 255.255.255.255 for a IP address. IPv6 is jsut like it but uses 6 sets of numbers in stead of 4. So it looks like 255.255.255.255.255.255 instead. This is being done cause we are running out of IPv4 addresses to use. So they have to implement IPv6 so that they can continue to give out IP addresses to new sites and PC that are coming onto the internet.

I would not remove any of that stuff as it is all useful. But i would definately recommend getting rid of McAfee and you should see a nice boost in your net speed.

Cheers,
Mak

McAfee gone, and the dif is really amazing. The people behind that product really need to step up and realize that it does more harm than help lol.

Kay, i have Nightly tester tools 2.0.2 and fasterfox 2.0.0

Think you could give me a simple crash course? =)

Hello,

Fasterfox should work upon install. It should increase your speed once you apply it. There really is no reason to configure it more. It is already setup to run in Turbo Mode and be as efficent as you need it to be. But if you wish to configure it go under Tools>Add-Ons and under the Extensions part click on Fasterfox>Options.

There jsut set it up as you want it.

Glad that removing McAfee made a difference. I didnt realize you had that to being with. that is a bad product. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

Well, just installed AVG 8.0, but it seems as if it has just as much "condomness" as McAfee. I haven't noticed a speed dif, cuz i haven't been surfing much, but AVG > McAfee any day, right? They have a lot of the same things. Link Scanner and Resident Shield appear to be active-scanners, which i imagine take up some of my speed, as well as the Anti-Virus/Spywares, no? Basically i want top-notch surfing/downloading speeds, if you haven't noticed lol. the sights i go to don't really need active scanning, i basically surf REALLLLy popular sights and play MMO's, that's it XD

Hello,

Yes AVG is much better than McAfee. There are some things you can remove from AVG to make it run faster. Check in the Virus section thru the threads there. Osiris has posted this info many times on what to remove from AVG to make the system run faster.

To be honest even if they are sites like that doesnt mean that everyone on there is legit and playing nicely. They could embed a flash image that can infect you among many other things.

Being a Really popular site only leaves them open for this type of thing. So really it is p to you what you do. If you remove the active scanners to get top notch speed you could be leaving yourself open to something getting downlaoded or attacking your system which might then lead to you stopping by talking about how you have slow down on your PC and find out you are infected and haev to get yoru system cleaned up.

I cant advise you either way. It is in the end your choice what you do. I would say leave them active scanners on. But that is just my opinion.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom