Internet connection sharing and the PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByteJunkie

Solid State Member
OK heres the deal,

I need to set up my computer so i can connect my PS2 to the internet through it. The problem, my router is down right now. anwyay I turned on ICS, the firewall on the NIC connected to my cable modem, that nic is on my motherboard. then i connect my ps2 to the second nic and it doesnt even reconize that there is a cable plugged in. so i switch the two cables on the pc same results just backwards now. ok i plg my PS2 into my modem, It reconises that its connect to a network now but it cant find the DNS server. I forgot to change the IP from a a 192.168.x.x address so im sure that that issue. Now why can't my computer reconize that my PS2 is plugged into it? the ps2 is on btw.

I am running windows xp pro.

When plugging your PS2 into the computer you need a crossover cable...not a straight-through cable.
You can connect your PS2 right to the cable modem, but you will have to use a DHCP address.

-Mike

The difference

The difference between a straight cable and a crossover cable is that the wiring. A straigh cable only send a signal one way- and is meant to be used with a hub. But say you have two computers (in your case two units= comp. and ps2) the signal from your lan will run from the computer to the other computer and back and forth without a hub. It's just like a circle or whatever. The price is the same as a straight cable. I use a crossover for my network.
So by you using a straight cable I guess what it does is send info but won't recieve any or vise versa.

-Eric

Re: The difference

Eric5000 said:
The difference between a straight cable and a crossover cable is that the wiring. A straigh cable only send a signal one way- and is meant to be used with a hub. But say you have two computers (in your case two units= comp. and ps2) the signal from your lan will run from the computer to the other computer and back and forth without a hub. It's just like a circle or whatever. The price is the same as a straight cable. I use a crossover for my network.
So by you using a straight cable I guess what it does is send info but won't recieve any or vise versa.

-Eric

No, actually, not at all. Any node can send and receive data. Any cable can carry a signal both ways. Both computers and hubs are pinned out differently (DTE vs. DCE devices). So, if you are going from a computer to a computer, you need a cable that has the send wire from one node going to the receive wire on the other node.

-Mike

Ive the PS2 up on the3 computer and it try to connect but im not getting a response from my DNS server. Ive tried as many settings as i can think of, Ive set it to auto config, ive told the IP address, nothing. Am i going ot have to use some sort of NAT between the NICs to get it find the DNS server or is something else wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom