Intel to terminate AMD x86 license?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that Intel had its own 64 bit but it could not run 32 bit AMD had the technology that ran 64 but could also run 32 and Intel purchased it from them. ?

While discussion is good, this is deviating into territory best left alone. I started to go ahead and close this thread but decided to post a word of caution instead.

If the current tone of debate is continued, this thread WILL be closed. I will keep my comments on Intel and their business practices to myself so as not to add to the current direction. Please keep this topic on the up and up and intellectually sound.

Boohoo for AMD, for over 20 years they have been able to not only thrive in Intel's crap but have beat them in several cases. Why should we feel bad for them now?
I think you're making a non-sequitar.
Yes, AMD have made wins against Intel. that doesn't make what they did right.
If AMD had invented the microprocessor they would be doing the same thing.
I highly doubt that. Also, non-sequitar.
The only reason they are in this position now is because they dropped the ball on the AM2 transition and let Intel get the lead.
more like, they were forced into financial hardship because they couldn't get nearly the market penetration, due to Intel forcing OEM's into Intel exclusive deals; thus AMD couldn't spend nearly as much on R&D.

But again, non-sequitar.
It is a fact that Intel has been trying to illegally crush AMD.
That's why AMD only barely outsold Intel for a couple of months even when they had the clearly superior architecture. Intel still outsold AMD most of the time.

You can't do that against an opponent like Intel. AMD is paying the price now for their lack of initiative, that's how the market works. The weak die and the strong survive.
The market doesn't work by illegally crushing competition the way Intel has.
though I think AMD has done almost as well as possible given the market conditions Intel pushed them into.
Apok, if you feel so strongly about it then I suggest you try and be proactive instead of arguing with us.
I am doing something. I'm telling people about what Intel is doing, so that people can make a decision not to buy from them.
Obviously I can't force people not to buy from them, short of becoming a lawyer and joining AMD, then winning a case that did just that. Though even if I wanted to do that, it takes a long time to go through law school. the case would probably be well over by the time I finish.
I have little respect for someone who sits and complains but I have the greatest respect for someone who fights for what they believe in.
so where do you arbitrarily draw the line? this is essentially a battle of information.

debates are won and lost through logic and reasoning, not by.. um, going postal, or something. You don't physically act with force on an issue like this.

My understanding was that Intel had its own 64 bit but it could not run 32 bit AMD had the technology that ran 64 but could also run 32 and Intel purchased it from them. ?
Intel had a different 64-bit architecture, which wasn't 32-bit compatible.

AMd made the AMD64 instruction set specifically to be compatible with x86

i agree with wildside...it does indeed seem to be about the money...if intel can push AMD back a few months with this escapade, then they can release their new CPUs with little interference from AMD in order to charge the **** out of us...remember how expensive core 2 was for us when it first came out?

Well I decided to read a bit.... Appears that if Intel DOES do this, they either will have to go back to 32bit processors with the Itanium being there only 64bit CPU, or they have there own 32/64bit architecture figured out now...

This has led to a case of mutually assured destruction should either company revoke its respective license.[2] Should such a scenario take place, AMD would no longer be authorized to produce any x86 processors, and Intel would no longer be authorized to produce x86-64 processors, forcing them back to the now-obsolete 32-bit x86 architecture. The last processors Intel manufactured which did not use AMD's x86-64 design were early versions of the Pentium 4 "Prescott", introduced in February 2004.
Quoted from Wikipedia on x86-64 technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom