I'm new to linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
Hello all. After trying a few different distros of linux (Ubuntu, and Freespire (Linspire's free version). I've found the best distro for me so far, PCLinuxOS. There's only one thing that's common all these have had for me, which is a problem. I have no idea how to use source codes or anything... I've tried downloading drivers for video card, but they're source codes, and can't really use them since I don't know anything about source... Anyone feel like shedding some light on this, and how to use them?

to install something from its source, usually you just go into the terminal, change to the directory of the source, and type:

./configure

once that is done type:

make

and once that is completed type either:

sudo make install

or use the "su" command to get into the root user then just type

make install

Compiling from source as kpmwrestler described above may or may not work the first time, it will likely throw a few errors at you. If possible you're probably going to want to install it precompiled as a package. I have no idea what package management system PCLinux uses, though.

If you were using Ubuntu I would say "sudo apt-get install <program>". I don't know what's the command in PCLinux.
Try to search in <Linux> - Google Search how to install a program using repositories, assuming that PCLinux use repositories.

also you will require certain packages to compile programs. with ubuntu/debian open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential

just to make sure you have the necessary packages. to compile, download the source and extract it to a folder, for example your home folder. change to the directory you extracted to:

cd /home/user/source

where user is your username and source is the name of the source directory. run the configure script:

./configure

then run:

make
sudo make install

you can uninstall by changing to the source directory for the program and running:

sudo make uninstall

if you are trying to install nvidia or ati drivers it should be fairly simple. they should be packaged with scripts that do most of the work for you. if you are running a prepackaged kernel (which no doubt you are) it should be pretty much a matter of (in the case of nvidia) running the install script

sudo ./NVIDIAXXX.run

obviously you have to fill in the name of the downloaded file. then you just have to disable the nvidia driver that's already installed by adding "nv" or "nvidiafb" to the restricted modules list under /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

to install something from its source, usually you just go into the terminal, change to the directory of the source,

I had the same problem and my question is... How would I go into the terminal?

__Camouflage__,

To build from source you basicly do what KPM wresler has suggested, however just do the 'Su" command as oppose to "sudo"

Modernirtz,

Terminal in PCLinuxOS is simple On the applications panel their should be a bunch of icons, the menu icon or start icon, a show desktop icon and an Icon that gives you access to your home folder next to this is the icon for terminal

Hope this Helps,

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom