If you had to recommend one game....

Can't really make a recommendation in the absence of knowing who I'm making the recommendation to, but I can say that Wasteland, Bard's Tale and Ultima provide some of the best examples of mechanics we still use in games today (related: GOG.com has all the Ultima games on sale this weekend). Bard's Tale used first-person perspective (as did Ultima's dungeon crawls). Ultima gave us the top-down perspective and, later, the 3d isometric perspective. Wasteland gave us skills in addition to character stats, and also showed that RPGs could move beyond swords and magic.

And if you can find those games, they'll run on any system that can run an emulator to slow down clock speed or mimic an OS. In the case of the Ultima games available on GOG.com, all of that stuff comes included, so running the game activates the emulator which handles clock speeds, etc.

*raises flame shield*
images

I actually never played FF7... in fact, my first FF game was FFX on the PS2...

Yes, I know, that's a cardinal sin of gaming, but it's a true story. I thought about picking it up, but I don't think old PS1 even works anymore. Well that, and the fact that it's impossible to avoid spoilers, so already knowing what happens sort of kills it for me.
If you have anything modern you can use the discs on an emulator. And by modern I mean yes IGPs in modern laptops.

Edit: Appears you have an Alienware so yea, will definitely play it. Plus, FF7 2012 Remake works rather well too.

Last edited:
Loved me some Bard's Tale on the C64. BT 2 had an exploit to level up quickly by summoning a monster who took the front slot for your party, kill all but one in your party, move them to the end slot, then wander the town at night for the higher level encounters. The summoned monster would do the fighting and you couldn't be attacked in the end slot. With your party dead. You didn't have to share xp and you would level quicker. Start with your summoner and before long you'd be summing beasts that could one hit kill the things in town.

Ahhhh memories

Loved me some Bard's Tale on the C64. BT 2 had an exploit to level up quickly by summoning a monster who took the front slot for your party, kill all but one in your party, move them to the end slot, then wander the town at night for the higher level encounters. The summoned monster would do the fighting and you couldn't be attacked in the end slot. With your party dead. You didn't have to share xp and you would level quicker. Start with your summoner and before long you'd be summing beasts that could one hit kill the things in town.

Ahhhh memories

Ain't it nice to be old school? I imported my Ultima III characters into Bard's Tale, then imported them into BT2. Thus, I never really needed to do things like that ... having already hex edited my Ultima III characters to max everything ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom