I cannot hear any MIDI music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathscytheX5

Solid State Member
Fist of all, I must have say that I've been struggleing with this problem a long while now. I've seached all over the place to no avail.

The problem is that I cannot hear any MIDI music from my speakers.

If I play a MIDI file for example in Windows Media Player, the player seems to be playing the song as the time line is moving and no error pops-up.

I think can hear all other music formats I, like mp3, wav, the CD's and so on.

Two stange things I noticed though is:

(1) In 'Sound and audio devices', under the 'Audio' tab in the 'MIDI Music Playback', the 'Defulalt Devices' dropdown menu is always empty. I can select one of the devices like SiS 7018 Wave, but if I click the 'Apply' button it disappears from the box, as well with 'OK'

(2) When I ran the DirectX Diagonostic somewhere in one of the music tabs there was 'No General MIDI DLS File' witten in some box.

Can some one please help me with this.

Thanks!

MIDI is not sound. MIDI is ONLY ONLY ONLY DATA!! It is like a program... only its run by a midi "reader" instead of a normal PC program.

Crysalis said:
MIDI is not sound. MIDI is ONLY ONLY ONLY DATA!! It is like a program... only its run by a midi "reader" instead of a normal PC program.

I already know this... and this does not help.

Maybe it may be my sound card. But in the Device manager the SiS 7018 Properties there is a MIDI driver present, and it says working correctly.

I've instaled and reinstalled many sound drivers but they don't help.

I think is probably has to do with the DLS file. Ill try searching for some.

I'm guessing this is onboard sound? You needto use the drivers included with your motherboard's CD. Don't download any other version. That version on the CD will work for sure.

If there is a missing DLS file, that is a driver. There are drivers missing.

Completely uninstall the drivers, not just the device. Restart (if this is onboard sound) and disable the onboard sound in BIOS. Reboot into windows leaving the onboard sound disabled. Make sure that no sound devices show up in device manager. Reboot into BIOS and enable onboard sound. Boot into windows. If done correctly, it should bring a box asking you where to look for drivers. Say NO to search online and put in your MOBO's CD. Have it search the CD for drivers. Try the midi.

Also, check DirectX... make sure it is up-to-date and in working order.

Thanks that's a good method man, but the thing is that I don't have a CD for my mother board or XP or any of that, I did'nt get one when I bought the computer, I was robbed T_T". The only access I have for my drivers are from the internet.

what kind of computer is it? There are probably thousands of drivers for AC'97 (onboard audio). It is almost impossible to find the right one that fits your motherboard other than directly from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom