How To Test Network Line Connectivity (i'm A Newbie, Be Nice Please :)...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCOCOOKIE

In Runtime
HI! I was wondering if someone could explain how to test a network connection from the wall jack to the patch panel using a LanRoamer when it's a live circuit. If i plug the main unit (of my LanRoamer) into the wall jack at the Workstation and the Remote one where the Cat cable ends at the Patch Panel, I get the "LIVE CIRCUIT" WARNING, which won't allow me to test if "line" is good or not. How do you get around this? How do u tell if it's a LIVE CIRCUIT??? Again, I'm new to this and I'm learning so please have some mercy...:D If anyone knows of any useful step-by-step guide or book with pictures, I would greatly appreciate it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Thank you for the replies. Thank you, Osiris, for the pdf guide. I was reading the manual where it says:
To Test Installed Cable (office jack to patch panel with remote)
) Remove remote unit from main unit by sliding remote towards top of the main unit.
) Attach one end of supplied one-foot patch cable to the remote and other end to the wall jack.
) Attach one end of the second supplied one-foot patch cable to the main unit and other end to the patch panel jack.
) The tester will power on immediately and indicate a test in progress by displaying the TEST icon. It will be followed within 2 seconds by a wire map display of the results, plus a PASS icon and a beep if it passed the set shield criteria and T568A/B standard. The ID number for the remote will also be displayed.

I interpret that the cable that runs from the wall jack and ends at the patch panel is not "live" or energized. Because that's the first warning they give you:

"Warning!
Do not attach to energized cables. The LanRoamerPROâ„¢ may be damaged."

If I interpreted the instructions correctly, then what's an example of an energized network cable? I remember testing a network connection from the wall jack to the patch panel and I got that WARNING on the display of my Roamer. Does the main unit have to be plugged into the patch panel and the Remote into the wall jack or it doesn't matter? Why did I get that warning and beeps? Did I have the Roamer plugged into something else instead of the patch panel? THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom