How to made XP add SATA-II HDD to hardware list ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goo_lu

Solid State Member
Previously my Western Digital SATA HDD had problem. I replaced a new WD3200AAJS one from dealer. I connected that HDD to one SATA port in my Gigabyte GA-8S655FX motherboard. The BIOS settings for SATA were set as below:

Sis Serial ATA Controller [Enabled] (available options: Enabled or Disabled)
Sis Serial ATA Mode [RAID] (available options: IDE or RAID)

After PC powered up. BIOS reported it detected the HDD.

However, as Windows XP Professional was running, I couldn't find the SATA HDD from explorer.

I used System Management Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management tool and forced it to scan new hardware but no new HDD found.

Also, I used Device Manager -> Drive icon and clicked to force hardware change scanning. Still no new HDD found.

Although there exist probability that the new HDD was faulty but I would like to ask what can I do further before I return it to the dealer for another HDD ?

Tks!

PS: My motherboard has 2 SATA ports. I'd tried both of them but the results were the same.

Did you format the disk yet? When you install a new hard drive, you have to format it first, in order to have it show up.

Scroll down the list, you should see a drive marked as "unallocated". Right click on it and format it using ntfs filesystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom