How to choose a Linux distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakec

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

I am needing your help, I am thinking of writing an article on Linux distros and how to choose them. So with this in mind How do you choose a Linux distro, there are a number of methods out there

1) D/L A number of them and try Linux, see which one you like

the issue I have with this is that not everyone has the luxury they are on dial-up or on a fixed plan that limits them to what they can D/L. two distros offer free shipping on their distros Ubuntu/Kubuntu again this is great but limits their choices some what and opensource means having freedom of choice

what about buying them? well charging $2 to a credit card, although not much is a little ridiculous plus if you are a 15yr old tech geek chances are you will not have a credit card, so this again limits the scale...or does it?

or you can find somebody to send them to you free or the cost of postage like me, but again most people only have one or two distros they use and are not willing to give something for nothing (shipping costs). and because Linux isn't 'mainstream' yet (I use the term loosely allot of people don't know/don't care. the everybody uses windows therefore I too must use windows syndrome

Which distro Threads I always see allot of these and people always reccomend the same thing over and over again

Reviews people are, lets face it in the age of technology, lazy they don't want to read.

Distro choosers: Limits choice and gives nothing new, a user inputs data and the DC spits out the same results there are over 200 Linux distros out there can't they come out with new results .

Also the fact that allot of IT vendors don't actively support Linux, is this an issue?

these are the arguments for all the above points, your consideration on these would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Jake

Should be a somewhat easy article.

Point out the fact that it's definatly not easy to choose a distro, you just have to go with what you like best. Talk about how most are free to download, and there's also LiveCDs making it even easier to test the distro. Mention sites like distrowatch.

I wouldn't "purchase" distro CDs unless it's all I use. Example, I wouldn't have a problem paying up the few dollars for official CentOS discs because it's all I use and it's all I plan on "officially" using, at least for a while. I wouldn't pay it for some Ubuntu CDs that I only want just to see what the distro's like. Also, sometime's it's the only person's option. They may be dial-up and it may actually be cheaper to go that route instead of paying the huge phone bill.

Same thing is recommended over and over because it's generally the newb friendly distro and the most popular. When suggesting a distro it's often completely opinionated. Ubuntu is most popular distro, therefor it's the most recommended.

If they're too lazy to read a simple review, then they're going to have some serious issues going to linux. Linux is not for the lazy.

Distro choosers is a somewhat nice place to start, but shouldn't be something to base your decision on.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom