How to bridge connections? EEEK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzaguy

Baseband Member
Hello forum'ers, I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment as I cannot connect both my PC and XBox 360 to the internet at the same time and I would like to bridge a connection through my PC and into my XBox. I understand that the connection on my PC would be very low but I don't mind as I'd only be using it for InstantMessenger. Here's my setup at the moment:

Modem connected to the internet > Lead straight from my modem to my computer OR XBox 360 (I can only have 1 connected to the internet at the moment and would like them both at the same time :)).

Please could someone out there tell what I need to do in order for both my computer and XBox to be connected to the internet at the same time :)

Many Thanks, Charlie.

P.S: I would like the better connection on my xbox :).

This is pretty easy. I use this all the time when I have my 360 out in the living room as there is no Ethernet connection, so I use my laptop's WiFi to play on Xbox Live (yes, it's plenty fast enough to play on Live with).

Wait....do you have your Modem (cable/DSL) connected to your PC using Ethernet or USB? If you're using Ethernet, you'll need a second Ethernet card in your PC to hook the 360 to. Most PC's only have one. You can buy a cheap PCI Ethernet board pretty much anywhere and install it, but you'll need an empty PCI slot.

After you have that, to bridge:

XP:
Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections
Select your Modem and 360 connections (probably both Ethernet connections) by CTRL+clicking or dragging to select. Right click and select "Bridge Connections". It will make a network bridge and you should be good to go.

Vista:
Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage Network Connections (under Tasks)
Select both your Modem and 360 connections (should both be Ethernet connections) by CTRL+click or dragging to select. Right click and select "Bridge Connections". It will bridge them and then you'll be good to go.

After that, make sure you can get on Xbox Live. There are some connection tests you can do on the 360 to make sure it has an Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom