how to block text link ads (TLA)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
im seeing more and more webpages are using the text link ads and its becoming very annoying to browse thru a webpage like a minefield in order to avoid the stupid popups.

and some pages have them right next to the actual link with same name so its really hard to avoid.

what are they? how do they run? can i disable them from IE settings or something?

i think that alot of people would agree with me that those popups are becoming like the buzzign bee or that annoying fly ads that were the NEW THING some time ago.

It's simple to do with Firefox and a few extensions. ;) I use NoScript, AdblockPlus, and Flashblock, and I don't see any of them, or hardly any other ads.

With NoScript, you just don't give the originator of the ads permission... for instance, googlesyndication.com is Google's AdSense ads. It takes a bit to get used to giving websites permission to use and run scripts, but once you give a site permission it keeps it (unless you choose to give it temporary permission, of course).

AdblockPlus is really easy. If it doesn't promt you to add a filterlist when you install, go to Tools > Adblock Plus > Filters > Add Filter Subscription > and choose a list. If you want to see the different lists, click the link it provides. They are based on where you are, so you probably want to choose EasyList.

Flashblock just works. Anywhere there is Flash on the site it will show up as the frams with an arrow bubble in it. It won't do anything unless you click the bubble to let it know it can play. All those flash ads on so many sites... none do anything until you let them. ;) If paired with NoScript, you have to give the site the flash is coming from permission as well as click the bubble.

Anyway, I hope that helps. If you don't use Firefox, maybe this will be enough to get you to try it and become addicted... um... convinced to use it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom