how long till...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkShdw88

In Runtime
how long will it be before wireless networking will be as fast as or faster than 100BaseT? because all the wireless i have used and setup (mainly 802.11G 108Mbps) all have been around half or less throughput than what is stated and range is not very good at all.. what is the 802.11n going to be like? (i no about the pre-n stuff too).. i think i would be downgrading if i changed my home network to wireless any thoughts?

802.11n is expected to have an actual data throughput over 100Mbps. The standard is over a year away and most in the industry believe it will be 2009 before you see wide deployment. It will be very expensive. In order to get the data rate that high they are proposing using 4 tranceivers with 4 (or more) antennas which will make it 4x the cost of current 802.11a/g products.

If you want a fast home network (without running cat5 all over your home) and don't mind a short wait, HomePlug AV products are expected to out in early 2006 and are expected to have data throughput of 90-100Mbps.

By the way, HomePlug 1.0 Turbo products are rolling out now. They have a data throughput of 35Mbps vs. 802.11a/g products that only get 25Mbps.

thanks phoenix1, geez i didnt know 802.11n was that long away but i suppose the longer it takes the better it will be (should be in this case). i will get sum info on these homeplug av products, sounds good.

Here is a good article:
http://www.telecomweb.com/cgi/pub/tnd/tnd08240502.html
"The new AV specification defines the technology to deliver broadband at theoretical speeds as fast as 200 Mb/s over the electrical wiring in a home. Expectations are that the technology will actually deliver between 100 Mb/s and 120 Mb/s when it hits market. That's enough to challenge every hardwired technology now in use for in-house networking, without the expensive need to string Cat 5 cable, coaxial cable or fiber - making the reason for the increased interest in the technology obvious."

Don't let yourselves be too misled by these uber fast wifi speeds. Pretty much none of you need it! Your cable internet connection likely tops out at 5Mbps. This means you'll only be using a fraction of the bandwidth these high end routers are capable of.

Unless you have like 30+ computers on your home network or for some reason you're doing continuous massive data transfers between PCs, don't bother.

802.11b is more than adequate for the home user.

the article makes the av homeplug thing seem very promising.. well i do a bit of file copyin across our home network (100Mbps) and i don't think i could handle half or less of the speed (802.11g actual throughput) so i think i'll wait for a good wireless technology to come out.. probly homeav

MikeyE said:
Don't let yourselves be too misled by these uber fast wifi speeds. Pretty much none of you need it! Your cable internet connection likely tops out at 5Mbps. This means you'll only be using a fraction of the bandwidth these high end routers are capable of.

Unless you have like 30+ computers on your home network or for some reason you're doing continuous massive data transfers between PCs, don't bother.

802.11b is more than adequate for the home user.

Amen, 802.11b is all what's needed if your not using a heavy network. For a home user, this means 802.11b is fine.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Amen, 802.11b is all what's needed if your not using a heavy network. For a home user, this means 802.11b is fine.
Or better yet HomePlug 1.0. Much easier than setting up 802.11 wireless network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom