how is this for a rouchly 500$ build

mikee

Fully Optimized
This will be used for gaming (doesn't have to be ultra high settings just high my eves can't tell the difference) music, videos, school work, web browsing and maybe editing the occasional video. I want it to be at least semi future proof.

case

Buy the XION XON-160P ATX Mid Tower Computer Case at TigerDirect.ca

Dvd burner

Buy the Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive at TigerDirect.ca

HDD

Buy the Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue SATA Hard Drive at TigerDirect.ca

Mobo

Buy the ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca

CPU

Buy the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.70GHz AM3 Processor at TigerDirect.ca

Ram

Buy the Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory Kit at TigerDirect.ca

Overall, looks like a decent build for the money using that site. My main gripe is the case/PSU combo...certain brands of cases come with acceptable PSU's in a package when you're on a budget, but I would maybe bump your budget slightly to get a stand-alone PSU since I don't believe Xion is one of those brands.

Here's the least expensive PSU on there I would trust that has 500+ wattage:

Buy the Thermaltake W0388RU TR2 Series Power Supply at TigerDirect.ca ($40)

Here are some inexpensive cases you can get to go with that PSU:

Buy the Cooler Master Elite 311 Red ATX Mid Tower Case at TigerDirect.ca ($36)

Buy the Cooler Master Elite ATX Mid Tower Case at TigerDirect.ca ($44)

Buy the Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX at TigerDirect.ca ($50)

So for an extra $26-$40 bucks you can have a nice case and a much better PSU.

Also, what are you doing for a video card? The onboard on that motherboard may be better than others, but it's still no powerhouse for gaming. Can handle lower resolutions and lower quality, and that was on games a couple years ago. You're going to want something standalone, and I'm not quite caught up on which video cards are better yet, so I'll leave that suggestion to someone else.

I'd also go with a newer chipset with AM3+ support. Since you will probably get a dedicated video card, you won't need the onboard, and there are some decent 900 chipset boards. Here's a few, between 80 and 130:

Buy the BIOSTAR TA970XE AMD 9 Series AM3+ Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca ($80)

Buy the GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 9 Series Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca ($88)

Buy the ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X Socket AM3+ Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca ($130)

They all have similar features, the main differences are the cheapest one has a 970 instead of a 990X and number of USB ports supported. First board has 2x PCI-E x16 slots vs 3 on the others, but that's a bit of a moot point, since your first board had one.

For future proofing, you are better off getting a 970 board for that price. Its the am3+ socket.

Thats a great price on the x6, 109 after rebagtes pretty cheap.

That cases power supply garbage, buit since you have no gpu card, then it should be okay.

No gpu = crappy gamer. Even a lower end card will be alot better than the onboard gpu.

So while not bad, its got its faults.

My plan is to carry over the psu from this rig and the gfx card. I was planning to take the psu included with the case and put it in this rig so this can remain a minimal functioning rig as a backup and get rid of my current backup rig which is 10 years old. hard drive1 in this rig is also staying in this rig but the 1.5tb drive is moving over to the new one assuming it isn't broken
Integrated gfx is still a good thing to have in case your main graphics card dies randomly you would have that to fall back on and still have a usable computer. It saved me in school last year having integrated gfx when my card died.

Edit: also I have never upgraded my processor on past rigs because by time I find it necessary to do so there is nothing worth upgrading to in that socket anymore and the ram is usually maxed out as well by that time so I just find it easier to do another build

Back
Top Bottom