here's trouble

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so i had a thought run through my head. i have heard a little about "Faraday cages" but what i really know is it diverts electrical impulses around the electronics inside. so a computer case is mostly a metal box. how far from a Faraday cage is it as it stands?

Very far away.

A Faraday cage is metal mesh who's mesh holes small enough to block frequencies. Look at the front of your microwave - you see the metal mesh? That's like what Faraday cages are like but all around.

Actually, the idea behind it being a mesh is only that the holes are smaller than the wavelength of the EM wave you're trying to block. So theoretically, a fully solid metal container will be just as good as a mesh in terms of blocking radiation. Or potentially even better, as wavelengths smaller than the diameter of the holes in the mesh you're using will still pass through, but won't pass through the solid metal container

I think the main reasons they usually go mesh vs solid are so you can see inside it (e.g. microwave, visible light wavelength is smaller than microwave wavelength so can pass through where microwaves can't, letting you see your food) and to save on costs (i.e. why use 100g of metal when you can get away with using 50g)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom