help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdwstfll

In Runtime
can anyone send me to a link for wireless internet troubleshooting or can someone IM me. I need some help with my wireless internet and it's a very odd situation if you ask me.

I can post here if you'd like, but I thought it'd be faster if I could talk on aim or read up on it.

thanks

Jared

my sn is jwest529

Just post your problem here so everyone can see and help you. Tell us the brand and model of your router, operating system of your computers if you have more than 1 computer problems.

ok..

Wireless Router: Belkin Wireless G router

This is the problem:

The network is setup next door in an in house business. There is a modem and a regular router there. There is a cable underground that comes into the house that is connected to the router. This cable is then plugged into my wireless router (not the modem one). Then there is another cable connected to the router to a switch. Right now my desktop is running of one of the slots on the switch. When trying to connect to the wireless, it connects for about one second then switches off and says automatic. I don't think it is pulling an IP address and this is the problem, but I'm not 100% sure. The other day I was having probelms so I restarted the network and gave the wireless a new SSID etc. IT worked for about 2 days and then the wireless stopped working again.

Let me know if you need anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jared

Seems like the wired connection is fine so I would start off by troubleshooting the wireless router.

Firstly, this being a Belkin router, I would look for a firmware update that could help.

Try switching the channels around, you have from 1 to 11 to choose from.

Disable any encryption and security for the time being if you could and see if the connection runs fine. Don't leave your wireless connection unprotected for long periods. You should just disable the security until you can isolate the problem.

Check your SSID is enter correctly on your wireless client software on the OS.

Any other wireless network in the area can interfere with your connection. These interference can be caused by Bluetooth devices also, distances and solid objects like walls.

so I tried resetting the router and giving it new SSID and put a patch on it. It worked for 1 day and now it doesn't work. The wired part of the router works fine. The computers connect to the wireless but get the "limited or no connectivity." This happens to all three laptops on the network. Any help would be appreciated before I go and try and get a new one.

Thanks

JAred

once again AIM would work fine too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom