help with 0x7b error on XP install

little a

In Runtime
hello all

working to bring a laptop back to life. apparently, at some point, it was attacked by a virus that would cause the OS to freeze up after a few minutes of use

my first move was to try to wipe the hard drive clean, which i did via linux by mounting the HD on another machine (usb). the hard drive seems to work ok and was wiped clean without problems

i then tried to install a fresh copy of XP pro but i can't get it to get past even the first reinstall/repair menu. before i get to select anything it throws up BSOD with the 0x0000007B error

any ideas??? please tell me there's a way around this

thanks

Does the laptop successfully boot into the CD - showing a black screen with the white text 'Press any key to boot from CD...' and later, the blue Windows setup screen?

If not getting to the 'Press any key to boot from CD...' option, have you checked and confirmed in the BIOS that the CD / DVD drive has been set as the primary boot device?

Does the laptop successfully boot into the CD - showing a black screen with the white text 'Press any key to boot from CD...' and later, the blue Windows setup screen?

If not getting to the 'Press any key to boot from CD...' option, have you checked and confirmed in the BIOS that the CD / DVD drive has been set as the primary boot device?

yes, i can get past that press any key screen and actually get into the repair/reinstall menu but before it gets to the one where you choose R for repair, etc. it gets the BSOD

update: still struggling with this but i did manage to install a linux distro (crunchbang) and it boots fine and all works well. i then tried to install xp again but it went to the BSOD... at least i have a working laptop now, just not the OS i want.

any ideas on what's happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom