hard disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
I keep getting replace or repair hard disk. I tried dskchk /r which didn't do anything. What would next step to try? What is warranty for HD?

thx

thx

Defragment your drive: click on the "Start" button, choose "All Programs," then "Accessories," then "System Tools," and finally on "Disk Defragmenter." Run the disk defragmenter program and allow it to examine your hard drive for bad sectors. If bad sectors are found, those sectors will be quarantined to keep the rest of the disk running smoothly. If more than 10% of the available sectors on the hard drive are bad, it is probably best to just replace the drive.

Use a thumb drive, external hard drive or other storage device to back up your valuable data. If your hard drive crashes and you do not have a good backup, you may be unable to recover that data. You can copy your data to the external device by simply opening Windows Explorer, choosing the files to back up and copying them to the external device.

Purchase a replacement hard drive for your computer. When buying a new hard drive, always choose the largest capacity you can afford. The cost of storage has dropped quite a bit, so chances are you can afford a hard drive that is a lot larger than the current one.

Power-off and unplug your computer. Open the case of your computer by locating the pull-up tab on the top or the side. You may need to consult your user guide to determine the exact case-opening procedure.

Once you have the case open, locate the hard drive. If your PC is designed to sit flat, the hard drive will probably be located on the right side of the case at the top. The hard drive will be silver in color and it will have two cables coming off of it. The IDE cable will be grey in color and flat, with a white rectangular connection that attaches to the hard drive. The power connector will be white, and it will be designed to connect to four prongs on the hard drive. You will need to disconnect both the grey IDE cable and the white power cable. Next, remove the screws that hold the hard drive in place. Depending on the model, you will need either a Phillips head or a flat-head screwdriver.

Slide the old hard drive out of the drive bay and slide the new one in its place. Hook up the IDE cable and the power and secure the drive with the screws you removed in the previous step. It is important for the new hard drive to be securely in place. Make sure the screws are fully seated and that the hard drive is not loose. Then replace the cover and restart your PC.

I keep getting replace or repair hard disk. I tried dskchk /r which didn't do anything. What would next step to try? What is warranty for HD?

thx

thx
chkdsk /r /f

If it keeps failing backup IMMEDIATELY. The drive is just about dead. Not even a defrag will save it.

The Warrenty on a hard drive depends on who made it, when it was bought, if you bothered to register it and so on. We cant give you that information only you can get it by reading the material that came with the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom