guitar connecting to computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not recording by the way. I just want to play it through my speakers because I don't have an amp. And the thing is my bro's computer can play it through both speakers or channels, using the same wires and connectors. What did you mean by one of the connectors being stereo? The number of rings it has on the tip of the wire? Because two of the cables I use to connect are one ring, which is mono right.

Well I have an adaptor that changes the 1/4" cable into a headphone jack with 2 rings on it. Is that the problem?

OK...but the thing is, it works fine on my bro's computer. Both speakers and both ears of a headphone...I can hear. And i used the same wires, adaptor, and setup. You think it has something to do with the onboard sound? Mine is realtek and my bro's is soundmax.

Like molsen and others have said before, you need to buy something to make this work right.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the mic in or the line in on your computer?

line in (blue) usually expects a stereo input whereas mic in (red) usually expects a mono input.

Have you tried using the mic in? Maybe there is not one on the back, but there might be one in front of the computer case.

Also go to control panel -> sound and play with the settings. You might have options to force stereo or something.

Finally I don't know if it is safe to use the mic in, since I believe one of the channels carries the current that powers the microphone.

lol yea i forgot about mic-in. ncjimn is right, mic-in is almost always mono. try plugging in to that port. if it still comes out of the left channel, then it's a software/driver/mixer issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom