Green Screen problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thared33

Beta member
OK, I am absolutely CLUELESS as to how to fix this. I read somewhere that there is a bug in service pack 2 that causes this and there's no way to fix it yet since MS hasn't released an update for it, but I'm not sure of that.

Well, I have XP Home and service pack 2 with everything fully updated. There is a fairly fresh install on my system and my system is brand new, so I'm trying to avoid formatting, there has to be a way to fix this without formatting.

In windows media player and quicktime, I get these green screens when trying to play a video. The weird thing is that it lets me play a video fine at first, but only one. When I restart, I can play 1 single video fine in WMP, but after that if I open another video the screen turns green, so it allows me 1 play per restart. This is happening with AVI, WMV, MPG, and all quicktime files. I know I can just download and play the vids with another player, but I need to get quicktime and windows media player working so I can view online video that's embedded into webpages. I can use BSPlayer to play WMV, AVI, MPG files etc with no problem, it plays them fine. But I'd rather use WMP and also I just need it for online video since a lot of online stuff is WMV.

Another weird thing is that I can play any videos off of youtube.com with no problem, they don't give me green screens for some reason.

I've tried EVERYTHING. I've uninstalled and reinstalled windows media player and quicktime, I've deleted the codecs I installed myself such as the Divx and Xvid codecs, I've upgraded to my latest video card driver, I've installed some other 3rd party codecs that could maybe help such as ffdshow, I've installed the Hot Fix things on MS's website to clear up the green screen problem, and still, nothing works.

Also, when I go to device manager and go to sound video and game controllers, you can view the codecs that are installed on your system under the "Video Codecs" part. When I'm looking at all of the codecs I've installed, I try removing them from there, but that doesn't work. I highlight a certain codec, and I hit "Remove", and then all looks OK, so I close the window. But, when I come back to it, the codecs are right back where they were in the first place and they haven't been removed, they're still displaying them as installed, so for some reason it won't let me take them off through device manager. I have no idea what to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom