Got a strange issue with an IBM laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightngsvt

Baseband Member
We have an IBM T30 laptop on our network that is having strange networking problems. The user is unable to FTP, or use any networking app that requires 2 way communications. Also if you ping it by IP address, it comes back as a time out. But he is able to get a DHCP address fine, access the web, email, etc. IT is running XP Pro, I checked to make sure the XP firewall is turned off, but still nothing? Any ideas before I reimage this laptop?

Hmmm - Try using the network wizard on one of the machines and then go around and install them on the other machines.

I know this isnt the most technical way of handeling it but it is the easiest and it works 85% of the time.

You kind of lost me on what your getting at? I administer an OU of about 250 PCs and server (which is part of a corporate network). The problem only exists on 1 PC.

try hooking a computer into that same switch as the troubled computer and ping it, if you still have problems it is with that system. Kind of sounds like a firewall problem.

There are multiple computers on the same Cisco 5500 switch. And no, none of them can ping it (but it can ping them). It sounds like a firewall issue to me too, but he has no hardware firewall in his cubical and I was unable to locate any software firewalls installed (including the XP built in firewall).

I though you had it turned off for sure, if your not sure where it is. it is in the local area connections properites under the advanced tab. make sure that is unchecked. Internet conneciton firewall. I really don't like this thing. I it possible to customize it. if you can't it is worthless to me.

to make sure I've got this right, you can't ping the IP, can you ping the host name? can he connect to other systems as in start, run, then \\blahblah\c$?? and vice versa. just checking to see if its a WINS issue...

Sounds like it's time to breake out the packet sniffer. My advice, download and install ehtereal on a laptop. Take the laptop and a layer1 hub and head over to the Cisco 5500. (It has to be a hub...not a switch). Unplug the "Problem PC's" RJ45 jack and plug it into the hub. Plug your laptop into the hub and also one of the other computers on the network. So, altogether on this hub, you'll have 3 PCs. Start up ethereal on the laptop and then try and ping the good PC from the problem PC and you should be able to sort out whats going on. If you've never analyzed packets before, post them up here with some inserts at the points where you were pinging from the problem PC and I'd be happy to take a look at them.

-Mike

I agree with Michael but I suggest first connect that laptop with a good computer, and try pinging it from the good computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom