good language to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodshed doesn't have a compiler, it's and IDE, which uses the MINGW compilier. Bloodshed's Dev-c++ is real good. Quincy is decent.

As for Languages, Stick with C++ and Java - though C++ is used more. It's not just the language, but how you apply it. For books, if you are wanting to drop 20 USD a month for a subscription, check out safari books online. You get all the books you want cover to cover. Search under "Thomson Course"

Make no mistake, C++ is a difficult language to learn. I have been an amateur developer for over ten years now, and a professional one for a little of two months. I am still not comfortable with C++. As for making an RPG game "like" Golden Sun - do they have a level editor or API, tools to mod or extend the game. I some game development studios will liscense the engine for a percentage of the profits, or will loose and API so that you can develop against that engine, for free. Don't get me wrong, you will still have to learn a language, probably C++, but it will cut development time down a lot.

Good Luck, and when you get in a bind, let me know.

You need to find a book to teach you how to program in C++ first. Afterward, you can look for a game development book. However, I'd seriously recommend learning Python. You'll be developing useful software in python long before you will in C++. It allows you to be far more productive than many other languages. You should seriously consider this path first.

jcortes said:
dev c++ is nice but there are a ton of text editors that you can download c++ compilers for. and if your thinking about actually programming a game defenetly go with c++ or java php is a dynamic web based language and it will be impossible to make a game with it unless its like hangman or something lol which ive made before :)

Php can be used ot make great RPGs... They are just text based, I would give a link, but i dont know this forums linking policy.

It depends upon what you are doing. I think Java is an excellent language for developing applets (though it can be a real pain in the butt for stand-alone apps.) If you want to make a web-based game, you should use a combination of languages (ex: HTML (not actually a language), Javascript, PHP, Java, etc.)

I really like PHP's control over the server, and recommend using that for server-side programming.

hello, the easiest way to create a rpg or 2d" related game is to use "game maker 6.1" (www.gamemaker.nl) it has a lot of tutorials and help files that'l help you make whatever you want. multiplayer support is also available however that is complicated.( for me atleast ,lol)

the language that it uses is called gml( you can also program using d&d options)
i assure you that this is the easiest and most efficient way of making a rpg game.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom