Going from WINS to DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericd

Solid State Member
Hey guys,
My school wants to go from WINS to DNS. We currently have all of our AD set up and everything, but how do I go about this?

Also, we're wanting to go from Public IP's to Private IP's. We're an all static school district so I'd have to touch every computer. How do we go about doing that as well? Do we need additional equipment and what else would I need to do as far as NAT stuff.

You should have DNS set up already since DNS is a requirement for Active Directory.
You can set all PC's to use the DNS server though the Machine Settings in Group Policy <-- the easy way. Or, go to each machine and manually type in the IP address' of the DNS servers.

I'm confused about your public to private IP's?
Private IP's are 10.0.0.0/172.16.0.0/192.168.0.0 and should already be set up on your network. Unless each PC has their own IP from your ISP...which I'd doubt (these are public IP's)
DHCP is your best bet for regular PC's and static IP's for your servers.

NAT is typically used on the Gateway router to the internet. It is so multiple computers can use the same public IP address, as well mask which PC is sending the information from the internal network. If you have a router, you more than likely have NAT on it. You just need to enable NAT (should be already though) and your set. The router does the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom