Freezes on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalky

Baseband Member
my computer keeps freezin on me whenever its put under load although sometimes randomly aswell. I can play UT2003 for about 2 mins and the comp will just freeze and nothin responds not even trustworthy ctrl+alt+del. It will sometimes do this when downloading or playin music. I have downloaded latest vid drivers and nforce2sys drivers. My CPU temp is running about 49C idle. I am getting a new cooler to lower this though.

It is driving me insane cos i cant play any games.

Any help on what to try will be very gratefully recieved.

Xp2100+ AMD
K7N2 DELTA
512MB pc2100
Radeon 9700pro
Samsung 80Gb HD

AGP set to 1.7volts
Fast write disabled
AGP set to 8x

interesting. you don't mention wether the problem started after either a hardware / software change. have you added any hardware such as the video card recently? or maybe upgraded or tried to remove the memory? and what operating system do you use?

This all happened after motherboard upgrade. Sorry forgot to say, i upgraded the motherboard. Then did a format of c drive to wipe all old drivers and reinstalled windows XP Pro. I think i may have solved it slightly as i reduced the CPU clock FSB to 100Mhz instead of 133Mhz and disabled fast write on AGP. It seems to have stablized my OS but will this FSB change seriously slow my comp?

Thanks for reply

It will slow you computer but not so bad that you cant live with it.
49c is quite hot for idle mine runs at 39c when im working with it. I have a 2600+ AMD but check your temp after it crashes when playing ut and see what it is.I also play ut2003 and it cranks up the heat about 10c more. Have you put thermal paste on your chip.Artic silver is the best for cooling.Later Pat S

Hmmm .. Chalky

Ur running a 2100+ which effectively runs at 1733Mhz ..This would mean ur settings need to be 133*13 = 1733MHz

Having said this .. if u run it at 100Mhz FSB ..then it would mean running it at 100*13 = 1300Mhz which is like running a 1500+ Processor... So there's definately a performance cut ..

My suggestions ...
Run the processor at 133*13 .. it should be fine ..
Check the voltage ur running the processor at .. it should be1.75v

I don't think ur temperature's too high .. 'coz the 2100+ runs at a little higher temp anywayz .. it's die temp is 'bout 90ºC

Also check if ur AGP's Fan's are working properly ..
N' finally what's the temp ur CPU runs at during the game??

thanks for info preet and splat. when game crashes it is usually about 51C in bios. I have ordered some arctic silver 5 thermal paste so when i get that i will let you know what temps are like. i cleaned up cables inside too and that seems to have helped it cool down abit. will try running it at 133 Mhz FSB clock and see if it crashes again.

Thanks for help so far

Chalky

Chalky,,

did you happen to play around with the timings of the ram?

I have an AMD 1700 o/c'd to run at the equivalent of P4 2.2

FSB and Voltage tweaks were great,, but when I set my Ram timing incorrectly,, my system would lock up ,,, first it would not boot at all,, then it was jittery,, then found the sweetspot, and all is well

Check your memory timings on the MB as well,, If your ram is lower grade,, your issue may lie there,,

Difficulty with this issue,, It points to MANY causes for the similar effect,,

good luck, Be Patient ,, knock one issue off at a time,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom