Folders in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redinferno

Baseband Member
Earlier I had a problem. All the folders in my computer were opening with ACDsee Photo Manager which is a software for viewing images like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. So whenever I opened a folder on my computer it would open with ACDsee Photo Manager. I fixed this problem by going to
  1. My Computer > Tools > File Types.
  2. Then clicking on folder.
  3. Then clicking the advanced.
  4. After that I added an action called Open which used the program "C:\Windows\explorer.exe". Then I made the open action the default action ( so that double clicking a folder would automatically use the open action and the folder would open with Explorer.exe [ The action for opening with ACDsee was called Browse with ACDsee. I deleted that action ] )

After doing that all folders would open with explorer.exe but I created another problem. Every time I double clicked on a folder the folder would open in a new window. If I click on My Documents, My Documents would open in explorer.exe. So if I click on a folder in My Documents after that that folder would open in another explorer.exe. So it seems I didn't fix the ACDsee problem the right way.

I don't know how the first problem was even caused. I think someone else did it.

How can I get folders to open in the same explorer.exe rather than a opening in a new explorer.exe?

That has nothing to do with the ACDsee program that worked pretty much like other types of viewing programs but is seeing the default folder options return. When opening any explorer window simply go to the menu bar>tools>folder options section and click on the general tab seen there.

The center item decides whether a new window is opened or a folder is opened in the same window. Select that and click apply to call it a day.

Does uninstalling that program resolve the issue? Have you checked for Registry Entries that are tied to that program which are forcing a new windows for every action?

No, I did not check for Registry Entries that are tied to that program which are forcing a new windows for every action.

I think there is some confusion here. Folders used to open with ACDsee. I fixed that problem and changed that. Now folders open with explorer.exe which is the default windows folder viewer located at C:\Windows\explorer.exe.

The problem is no longer which program folders open with. The problem is that every time I open a folder it opens in a new window and I have then I have two windows open.

As for your first question mak213, no because that program is no longer used to open folders.

If I double click My Documents one window with My Documents opens. If I double click something in My Documents like "Visual Studio 2008" a new window with Visual Studio 2008 opens. So then I have a window with "My Documents" and another window with "My Documents/Visual Studio 2008" open. This is an annoying problem when I want to go somewhere which I have to click on a lot of folders to get to.

So does anyone know why this is happening?

I have no confusion. I know exactly what you are saying. The problem is this:

After that I added an action called Open which used the program "C:\Windows\explorer.exe". Then I made the open action the default action ( so that double clicking a folder would automatically use the open action and the folder would open with Explorer.exe [ The action for opening with ACDsee was called Browse with ACDsee. I deleted that action ] )

Why did you have to add this action? That is the default for Windows in the first place?

That is why i asked if removing the program resolves the issue. Cause installing it created it by forcing you to do this action which is what is causing your grief in the first place cause it over wrote the default Windows actions.

You need to see if removing this software will allow you to get Windows to resort back to its defaults. Cause right now ACDsee took over the defaults and it forced you to use that as yoru default file browser when is shouldnt have. Which leads me back to my first statement that action #4 you took to create a action to get explorer.exe as the default is where it all started to go wrong.

So we have to go back and start at the beginning. Removing the software that took away the defaults in the first place to see if Windows will resort back. Cause there is no reason why ACDsee took them over in the first place and forced you to create a action to have Windows be the default action when that should be the default in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom